Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jul 13, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT

Mariano Rivera, Robinson Cano AP

No Derek Jeter, no problem. The Yankees continued their recent dominance over the Twins with a 2-0 victory last night at a rainy Yankee Stadium.

Hiroki Kuroda tossed five scoreless innings in the victory. There was a 73-minute rain delay in the fourth inning, but Kuroda waited things out and came back to pitch the fifth inning. The 38-year-old right-hander now leads the American League with a 2.65 ERA through 19 starts. That’s not good enough to be an All-Star, apparently.

Brett Gardner and Robinson Cano delivered RBI singles to provide the offense for New York while Mariano Rivera pitched a perfect ninth inning for his 30th save in 32 chances. He now has 15 seasons of 30 or more saves, passing Trevor Hoffman for the most ever. You know, just in case you need saves to tell you that Rivera is the best relief pitcher ever.

Your Friday box scores:

Cardinals 3, Cubs 2

Blue Jays 5, Orioles 8

Royals 0, Indians 3

Mets 2, Pirates 3 (11 innings)

Nationals 3, Marlins 8

Rangers 2, Tigers 7

Reds 4, Braves 2

Astros 2, Rays 1

Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 2

Red Sox 4, Athletics 2

Rockies 3, Dodgers 0

Angels 3, Mariners 8

Giants 10, Padres 1

White Sox/Phillies – PPD

1. uyf1950 - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

D.J. come on “The Yankees continued their recent dominance over the Twins..” The Yankees have been dominating the Twins for well over a decade.

This was a good win for the Yankees considering their best starter so far this season was only allowed to go 5 innings because of the lengthy rain delay. The Yankees pitching staff is what’s allowed them to remain close in the standing so far. Now if only the offense could be a little more consistent with scoring more then 2 or 3 runs a game.

2. janessa31888 - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Corey Kluber was great last night and of course Cody Allen almost choked the game away in the ninth. It seems our entire bullpen is afflicted with Chris Perez disease. Instead of the Bullpen mafia they have become the bullpen arsonists.

3. southofheaven81 - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

So the Bombers finally have the pitching staff we’ve been BEGGING them to get for the past decade, and this is the year their offense decides to shit the bed. Figures.

4. hittfamily - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Has there been a more unlikely outcome in baseball this year than the Rays losing to the Stros last night? MLB debuting pitcher for the worst team in baseball against the reigning Cy Young winner whose team was riding an 8 game winning streak? I would have loved for the Rays to go into the break on an 11 game winning streak. Depending on the outcomes of last night’s game, it was possible for the Rays to either be in 1st place by the break, or 4th place. Tough division.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The fact of the matter is that, despite your willful denial, the Sox are a very good, gritty team this year.

It was foolish to prematurely dance on their graves while they still had a 3.5-to-4.-5 game lead over the Rays, even while they were in the midst of an 8-game winning streak.

• hittfamily - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Of course they are good. They aren’t good enough. The Sox have played 45 games against opponents with at least a .500 winning percentage. The Rays have played 55. Let the schedule play out, and when it does, Boston will reveal themselves to be what they are….a wild card contender.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I’ve said since the beginning of the season that I fully expected the Sox to fall back to earth at some point, but they haven’t.

I *STILL* think it could very well happen in the second half, but they’ve been excellent for far longer this season than I anticipated.

At some point, people need to start taking teams at their records.

5. flamethrower101 - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

How about Raul Ibanez? Wow. 24 homers at age 41! That’s just ridiculous AND we have half a season left to play. Watch your back, Ted Williams. He’s coming for you…

• uyf1950 - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Actually while MLB refers to the ASB as the halfway point in the season technically it is well past the halfway point in the season. The Mariners only have 43% of their season left. But that still doesn’t diminish Ibanez’s accomplishments so far this season. He’s performed above and beyond what anyone I think had a right to expect.

6. jayscarpa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

You have to like a guy (Kuroda) who only signs one year contracts. Year to year he’s so consistent.

7. historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Wahoooo! Hot tamales!

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I miss good tamales. Haven’t had genuine home made Mexico City tamales in over a decade….and now I can’t even get the fairly decent West Texas versions. Heck, the only time I have good Mexican food in CT is when I make it myself, and my supply of mole from Mexico City is running low.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

When I first moved to MA, someone told us about this “authentic” Mexican restaurant there so we went. I ordered a burrito and got — NOT kidding — a giant tortilla ball (dry) on a plate. I was like, I’ve eaten in Mexico, this is not authentic…it wasn’t even good Tex-Mex really. Also, they had no malts up there. WTF? And their pizza is HORRIBLE but they have a tons of pizza places. Also, we had to bring jugs of barbecue sauce back on the plane, and all the Italian restaurants had cream sauces instead of red ones, so I could never find anything I liked to eat. lol It was a culture-shock.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Well, CT has plenty of good Pizza places….close enough to NY to have strong italian influences, I guess….never trust the Irish to make pizza or pasta.

Yeah, I miss StL and KC style BBQ sauces, but I can usually find a good enough sauce that I can “fix” or make one from scratch (which isn’t nearly as hard as it would seem…indeed, they come out so good, so easily, it is crazy that so many places can figure out ways to make tasteless BBQ sauce).

Living in Lubbock was as bad as you would expect because there was fantastic Mex-Mex and Tex-Mex…as well as high quality Tai and Indian….all hail the college town effect.

There is actually a very good british place not to far from me and some very good (IMO) jewish style delis….so I’ve just had to adjust to the options…..and cook for myself a LOT more.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

One time I took rotel dip to a party and everyone acted like it was the most wonderful thing ever. I laughed because, of course, here that’s not fancy and you make it for informal things only (of course it took me awhile to find rotel). Also, they’d apparently never had real baked beans from scratch before (what?). And, worst of all, they STEW their okra. Weirdos. lol

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Today, I will be making a big batch of collared greens (bet you didn’t see that one coming). A lady down the street belongs to some sort of veggie swap meet thing and regularly has way more stuff than she and her husband can eat…so she divvies it up and gives it to people along the road as she walks her dog. I get a bag of random veggies from her most Thursdays (even during the dead of winter), and this weeks delivery was two huge bags of collared greens and 5 lbs of sweet potatoes. From time to time there will be some fruit, but mostly it is potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, collared greens, onions and such. A couple times I got big bags of heirloom turnips. I tried, I really did….I just hate turnips, so those get re-gifted. I had never in my life made (or probably even eaten) collared greens until last year…this will now be my 5th or 6th time. Thankfully, they freeze well.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Mmmmmm. Grill a steak, bake the sweet potato (easy on the sugar and butter) and have the greens on the side. Yummy! Too hot for summer fare though.

I am keeping my niece this weekend, so I’m pretty sure I’m having kiddie food tonight. Also, she’s trolling me with pro-BloSox nonsense. Kids!

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

You are really close. I’m going to slow cook some sweet potatoes in drippings from pork ribs, which gives them fantastic flavor and the sugar from the taters mixes well with the drippings to make a nice sauce. Those and the greens will go with some venison loin.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Sure make me even more bitter about eating cheese pizza tonight.

Hey, you know what can really drive you batshit in 24 hours? A quacking duck tone whenever a pre-teen gets a text.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

LMFAO

Just one more way in which dogs are better….it’s a really long list.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Awww, but I love having her (short term). She’s smart and funny and much more fearless than I was at her age. She called me one night from under the covers in bed because she needed to find a scientist to test a hypothesis for her.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quack quack quack

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Jealous.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

BTW, my pasta is excellent.

/sniffs

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Home made?

For some reason, I rarely eat pasta in the summer.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Meh, I’m too lazy to make my own noodles. I don’t have that kind of time.

• umrguy42 - Jul 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I also miss STL BBQ sauces (esp. Maull’s) up here in central NY. Last time I went home, I actually brought some back.

On the plus side, though, at the Wegman’s grocery chain up here, I’ve actually found St. Louis-style pork steaks (they even call them that) in their butcher section the last few months, so I’ve been buying plenty and cooking them. (Tougher with only a Foreman grill in my apartment, but I’ve managed to make it work pretty well, I think…)

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Yeah, I don’t think anywhere else in the world really knows what a “pork steak” is…but just about any butcher shop should have pork shoulder. Just get them to slice it about 1/2″ thick and you are set.

• spudchukar - Jul 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Plenty of good Mexican restaurants here in Central Idaho, due to the abundance of Hispanics and Peruvians. As to the red sauces Histo, remember there were no red sauces in Italian cuisine until the discovery of the Americas, and many still believe real authentic Italian food doesn’t include them.

The pork steak scarcity is a troubling phenomena here too. Just last week, I actually found some, very few, at a ridiculously cheap price of $1.09 per pound. Butchers here consider them less valuable than ham hocks. Odd.

This brings me to another troubling food issue. I was born and raised in St. Louis, Pagedale then Florissant, and I constantly see on menus here in Idaho “St. Louis style ribs.” I have no idea what that designation means, and in my 29 year stay I can never recall such an item. KC yes, STL no.

• paperlions - Jul 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I’ve seen the same thing in grocery stores here in CT….ribs labeled as “St. Louis style pork ribs” and I have no clue what that is supposed to mean. They just look like spare ribs.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM

They put cream and cheese in EVERYTHING. My stomach can’t take it. I think marinara has become legit by now.

Spud, do they at least know that barbecue isn’t just smothering the ribs with sauce?

• spudchukar - Jul 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yeah Histo, some places do indeed slow cook the ribs. Not one fast food restaurant in Ketchum/Sun Valley Idaho, and there are over 30 restaurants here.

• umrguy42 - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but:

I remember looking into this when reading up on it (on Wikipedia) – although it doesn’t say what *non* St. Louis-style ribs are:

“The city provides the name of St. Louis-style ribs, which are spare ribs with the sternum bone, cartilage and rib tips removed to create a rectangular-shaped rack. This cut of ribs, formalized by the USDA as “Pork Ribs, St. Louis Style”, allegedly originated with numerous meat-packing plants located in the region in the mid 20th century.”

The pork steaks aren’t that cheap around here, though – like $4.25/lb on one package I looked at, but still. Nice shoulder cuts.

As for me, I’ve found that with my Foreman grill, they seem to work nicely with a 5 minute run, flip, 5 minutes, flip and coat in BBQ sauce, 5 minutes, flip and coat, 5 minutes. Did some the other night, came out marvelously.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Another great start by a bluejay pitcher last nite, Dickey, Buerhle, and Johnson have been everything I could ever hoped for!! Wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

9. heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

You know how sometimes hockey lines get nicknames ( legion of doom ) or a lineup ( murderer’s row ) ?

Can we call the Braves outfield the LMAOutfield?

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Man, do you guys have pent up hate from not getting a game last night or what?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Nah, left for a nice relaxing Friday single malt night and some couch surfing.

• historiophiliac - Jul 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Other people’s couches?

10. APBA Guy - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Boston showed some star-power last night in the form of one special Pedroia play after another. The first hint that he was on was his single on an 0-2 count in the first, off a Parker change-up that Pedroia snuck through the left side of the A’s infield. In the second the A’s marginal defense was exposed on throwing errors by Donaldson (should have pocketed the ball after he booted it) and Jaso (never had a chance at second, ball ends up in right center) putting 2 runners in scoring position. They scored after Parker lost his concentration with two outs thinking Holt was no threat. Wrong. Then nothing until the 5th, when the A’s finally got a run and had Lackey looking vulnerable, Pedey made a great stop on a Donaldson smash and started the double play. Of course Pedroia finished the night off with the game winning 2 run hit with 2 outs in the 8th. Pedey’s from Woodland, CA just north of Sacramento, so no telling if he grew up an A’s fan or a Giants fan, but he sure put on a show for whomever came down from Yolo County to see him.

11. spudchukar - Jul 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

The Cards eked out another win against a sub-division team. Yeah, I know, a win is a win, but it wasn’t very impressive. How a team can be fooled by a change up, a high change up to boot, used 50% of the time is a mystery to me.

“Machine Gun” Kelly was vastly improved over his last outing. Much better command of the fastball, keeping it down, and augmenting it with a good change-up very good location. But the Cubs are pretty futile offensively, so that is a determinant.

The revamped bull pen continued to impress. An interesting note. The St. Louis bull pen does not have a single pitcher who hurled there in 2012 at this time. Not one. Remarkable.

What troubles me the most is the reliance on the same players day in and day out for production. Yesterday, , it was Carpenter and Beltran. Craig added a knock, and Scheirholtz played Johnson’s looping liner into a triple, and that was it.

Molina is in a little funk, due primarily to being pitched around, or not given any strikes to hit, and Freeze, Jay, and Kozma offered nothing, in what has become the norm. St. Louis cannot expect the big four, Carpenter, Beltran, Molina, and Craig, (with Adams an addendum when playing) to continue to carry the load. If the Cards hope to maintain their current record in the second half, Jay, Holliday, Freeze, and Kozma,(or whoever mans the SS position), need to make significant contributions. Something resembling their past numbers.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3318)