Stephen Strasburg had the worst start of his career last night

Jul 13, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT

Stephen Strasburg Getty Getty Images

Stephen Strasburg entered last night’s action having allowed seven earned runs combined over his last four starts. So of course he gave up a career-high seven earned runs over just two innings in an 8-3 loss to the last-place Marlins. Baseball, man.

After being handed a quick 3-0 lead, Strasburg really struggled with his control in the bottom of the first inning, as he walked the bases loaded. Marcell Ozuna then made him pay by clearing the bases with a triple. Derek Dietrich followed with an RBI single and was eventually driven in on an RBI single by opposing pitcher Nathan Eovaldi. The five runs were the most Strasburg has ever allowed in one inning. Giancarlo Stanton connected for a two-run homer in the second inning before Strasburg was replaced by Ross Ohlendorf to begin the third. It was his shortest outing since he was pulled from a start on May 31 after two innings due to a lat strain.

Strasburg gave up five hits and four walks while throwing just 33 out of 66 pitches for strikes. The important part is that he’s healthy, but the 24-year-old right-hander told Bill Ladson of MLB.com that he was having mechanical issues.

“It’s frustrating. I threw ball one, ball two. The batters put a good swing [on the ball],” Strasburg said. “I was too much open to home plate to start. That messed everything up from there. It caused me to fly open even more.”

Strasburg will go into the All-Star break at 5-7 to go along with a 2.99 ERA and 109/37 K/BB ratio in 108 1/3 innings over 18 starts. The ERA still looks mighty good, but from a lack of run support to the lat issue, it’s been a frustrating first half. The same can be said for the Nationals, actually.

1. natslady - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Stras was very honest in his post-game interview. Said the break will give him an opportunity to examine “my flaws.” Didn’t blame the ump, didn’t blame his run support. It was very annoying from a fan’s point of view–he gets a three-run lead and can’t hold it, and then the bats SHUT DOWN. Well, not exactly. There were chances. Bryce hit a 410-ft fly ball, Werth hit a massive, er, double… 1 for 9 RISP. Just not getting it done.

Ross Ohlendorf is making his case for a spot start or place in the rotation.

• evanwins - Jul 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Why would he blame the ump? The ump called a good game. It’s odd you would bring that up.

Why would he blame run support? He was given a 3 run lead before he even took the mound. It’s odd you would bring that up.

“Bryce hit a 410-ft fly ball”. You mean he flew out? Who cares about the distance of an out? It’s odd that you would point that out.

“Werth hit a massive,,,”. Why point out that? Are you trying to blame the park? The measurements are the same for both teams, you understand that right?

You are trying to be slick and point out all of these non-factors and try to use them as excuses without really coming out and saying it. It’s transparent and comes off as petty and spiteful.

Then you end it with “Just not getting it done”, which isn’t what you really think – you really think it was the umpire and the park.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Lighten up. You read way too much into what people write. And then you state your conclusions as some kind of truth, telling people what you say they really think as if they were operating on some kind of hidden agenda which you have just uncovered and they should just chide themselves and admit that you are correct.

In fact you go out of your to impose your point of view on others.

• natslady - Jul 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM

What is WRONG with you? I didn’t say anything of the kind–blaming the umps or the Park. If you had watched the game, which you OBVIOUSLY didn’t, you would have seen that Harper almost slammed his helmet on the ground out of frustration and Werth was muttering curses at the ballpark. The ump was OK, there was at least one borderline call Stras didn’t get that a Marlins pitcher did, but the worst call was a ball that was entirely in the zone, that was for Ohlendorf and it didn’t matter because he struck the guy out. As for saying the Nats were 1-9 RISP, that was the frustrating part, even more than Stras losing his control–that happens–but, Ryan Zimmerman striking out with the bases loaded against Eovaldi when he was on the ropes, that should not happen over and over again.

The Nats were a 0 for a gazillion RISP in Philly, too, but I couldn’t remember the exact number, so I didn’t put it in my post.

I don’t know who you are, “evanwins” or why you pick on my posts, but you are one reason I rarely come on here. Have a nice life.

2. eightyraw - Jul 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

This photo shows that Marlins Park did its best last night to throw Strasburg off his rhythm.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Jul 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Awesome. And this is clearly all Loria’s fault

• Old Gator - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Only a dumbass like you would credit a jackass like Loria for a great ass like that.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:46 AM

With all due respect here…and I truly believe you deserve this honor. You are an expert on asses. More specifically, male, baseball team owning asses. Your life must be so fruitful…or turdful. You pick

• Old Gator - Jul 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Given the hopeless obsessiveness with which you come on here to defend the indefensible bloodsucking crook and two-bit hatchetman Scrooge McLoria – which is all you ever come on here to do, speaking of one-dimensional existences – you give me plenty of opportunities to study a dumb ass and/or jackass. Great asses have always been fun to study, and always will be.

Turdful? Exercising that fifth grade vocabulary today, are we?

3. razorbyrd - Jul 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Strasburg blamed himself, he didn’t look for excuses and try to blame anyone else, THAT’S what I read in the post…

on a side note, can someone tell me when, and why, the Nats became as hated as the Yankees…

• natslady - Jul 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My best guess? $$$. Fantasy players and bettors lost money on Stras yestereday–and lost money when Stras was shut down last September, even though Rizzo said over and over that he would do it. Maybe they also bet on the predictions that the Nats would be 20 games over .500 by the All-Star break… $$$ brings out a lot of vitriol.

• natslady - Jul 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM

LOL on the thumbs!, I posted, hit refresh and had 10 done thumbs! Somebody needs a life.

4. missingdiz - Jul 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’m just passing through here, but if you don’t mind I think everybody ought to lighten up a bit about this young man. Go take a look at Sandy Koufax’s stats. When he was at his peak, in my view (and I really don’t like the LA Dodgers) he was the best ever. But look how long it took him to get there. A young man has the raw stuff and one hopes he’s willing to learn. Ideally, there’s a period when the stuff is there, with the smarts. Give him some time. Everybody has bad days. I just can’t imagine me at that age with that much attention on me–can you?

• natslady - Jul 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Agree! And the same could be said for Drew Storen.

5. ndnut - Jul 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Nothing will be worse than the “Fireballer” start last year. You know, RedHot, itching, getting shelled with your balls burning. Yeah, that start was worse for Strass.

6. missingdiz - Jul 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I got all these thumbs down because I want people to take it easy on this young man?

OK, I’m going back to Cardinals nation. Y’all just need to grow up and become baseball fans instead of jerk offs–try to understand the game. It’s long term.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5454)