Jul 13, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Pablo Sandoval hit an RBI double with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Before Hunter Pence could see a pitch from Padres starter Sean O’Sullivan, shortstop Everth Cabrera tried the hidden ball trick to catch Sandoval napping at second. Umpire Laz Diaz had granted Sandoval a time out, however, invalidating the play. Pence would eventually strike out to end the frame.
Watch the attempted hidden ball trick:
I’m no expert lip reader, but I think umpire Laz Diaz said, “had time, though”, motioning to home plate umpire Mike Winters.
Even though it didn’t work, the attempted hidden ball trick is still worthy of applause. Would that it were used more often.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)