Jul 13, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
Pablo Sandoval hit an RBI double with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Before Hunter Pence could see a pitch from Padres starter Sean O’Sullivan, shortstop Everth Cabrera tried the hidden ball trick to catch Sandoval napping at second. Umpire Laz Diaz had granted Sandoval a time out, however, invalidating the play. Pence would eventually strike out to end the frame.
Watch the attempted hidden ball trick:
I’m no expert lip reader, but I think umpire Laz Diaz said, “had time, though”, motioning to home plate umpire Mike Winters.
Even though it didn’t work, the attempted hidden ball trick is still worthy of applause. Would that it were used more often.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)