Jul 13, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Pablo Sandoval hit an RBI double with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Before Hunter Pence could see a pitch from Padres starter Sean O’Sullivan, shortstop Everth Cabrera tried the hidden ball trick to catch Sandoval napping at second. Umpire Laz Diaz had granted Sandoval a time out, however, invalidating the play. Pence would eventually strike out to end the frame.
Watch the attempted hidden ball trick:
I’m no expert lip reader, but I think umpire Laz Diaz said, “had time, though”, motioning to home plate umpire Mike Winters.
Even though it didn’t work, the attempted hidden ball trick is still worthy of applause. Would that it were used more often.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 38
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (93)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)