Jul 13, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Pablo Sandoval hit an RBI double with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Before Hunter Pence could see a pitch from Padres starter Sean O’Sullivan, shortstop Everth Cabrera tried the hidden ball trick to catch Sandoval napping at second. Umpire Laz Diaz had granted Sandoval a time out, however, invalidating the play. Pence would eventually strike out to end the frame.
Watch the attempted hidden ball trick:
I’m no expert lip reader, but I think umpire Laz Diaz said, “had time, though”, motioning to home plate umpire Mike Winters.
Even though it didn’t work, the attempted hidden ball trick is still worthy of applause. Would that it were used more often.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)