Jul 13, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
Pablo Sandoval hit an RBI double with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Before Hunter Pence could see a pitch from Padres starter Sean O’Sullivan, shortstop Everth Cabrera tried the hidden ball trick to catch Sandoval napping at second. Umpire Laz Diaz had granted Sandoval a time out, however, invalidating the play. Pence would eventually strike out to end the frame.
Watch the attempted hidden ball trick:
I’m no expert lip reader, but I think umpire Laz Diaz said, “had time, though”, motioning to home plate umpire Mike Winters.
Even though it didn’t work, the attempted hidden ball trick is still worthy of applause. Would that it were used more often.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 152
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (152)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (80)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)