Jul 13, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
Tigers manager Jim Leyland, in his own way, firmly told the media that he will not use pitchers who start on Sunday to pitch in the All-Star Game. Via MLB.com’s Jane Lee:
Leyland on allowing pitchers who start Sunday to throw in ASG: “They can blast me till the cows come home, and I’m not doing it.”
— Jane Lee (@JaneMLB) July 14, 2013
MLB’s Collective Bargaining Agreement allows for a choice between the manager and pitcher. Under the previous CBA, Sunday starters were ineligible to pitch. Sunday starters may now pitch a maximum of one inning.
All-Stars scheduled to make their final start of the first half tomorrow include: Justin Verlander (DET), Bartolo Colon (OAK), Hisashi Iwakuma (SEA), and Adam Wainwright (STL). Three of them will be serving under Leyland on the American League roster.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)