Jul 13, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
After Yasiel Puig was forced to make an early exit from the past two games due to a lingering injury to his left hip, Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Cuban sensation is not in the starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Rockies.
Puig originally injured his hip when he collided with the right-field fence while making a catch at Coors Field on July 3. Coincidence or not, he’s hitting .256 (10-for-39) with one double and a 13/3 K/BB ratio since. Per Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly indicated that there has been some uncertainty about his ability to play in recent days.
Mattingly: “We gotta make sure we do a better job of communicating, as far as understanding if (Puig) can go.”—
Pedro Moura (@PedroMoura) July 13, 2013
It’s unclear when Puig will be ready to go, but it would hardly be surprising if he was held out the rest of the weekend. It’s best that he gets this thing under control in preparation for the second half of the season. Maybe him missing out on playing in the All-Star Game isn’t such a bad thing after all.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 50
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)