Jul 14, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
“El Oso Blonco” was not expected to return until after the All-Star break, but the Braves’ entire starting outfield is hobbled (along with first baseman Freddie Freeman) so he had to be rushed back. Gattis went 1-for-8 with three strikeouts on his two-game minor league rehab assignment at Triple-A Gwinnett.
The 26-year-old slugger was batting .252/.317/.577 with 14 home runs and 11 doubles in 53 games for the Braves before hitting the shelf.
In a corresponding move, B.J. Upton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right abductor muscle strain. He suffered the injury on Friday night and it hadn’t improved much by Sunday morning.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 44
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)