Jul 14, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
“El Oso Blonco” was not expected to return until after the All-Star break, but the Braves’ entire starting outfield is hobbled (along with first baseman Freddie Freeman) so he had to be rushed back. Gattis went 1-for-8 with three strikeouts on his two-game minor league rehab assignment at Triple-A Gwinnett.
The 26-year-old slugger was batting .252/.317/.577 with 14 home runs and 11 doubles in 53 games for the Braves before hitting the shelf.
In a corresponding move, B.J. Upton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right abductor muscle strain. He suffered the injury on Friday night and it hadn’t improved much by Sunday morning.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)