Jul 14, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
“El Oso Blonco” was not expected to return until after the All-Star break, but the Braves’ entire starting outfield is hobbled (along with first baseman Freddie Freeman) so he had to be rushed back. Gattis went 1-for-8 with three strikeouts on his two-game minor league rehab assignment at Triple-A Gwinnett.
The 26-year-old slugger was batting .252/.317/.577 with 14 home runs and 11 doubles in 53 games for the Braves before hitting the shelf.
In a corresponding move, B.J. Upton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right abductor muscle strain. He suffered the injury on Friday night and it hadn’t improved much by Sunday morning.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)