Jul 14, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
“El Oso Blonco” was not expected to return until after the All-Star break, but the Braves’ entire starting outfield is hobbled (along with first baseman Freddie Freeman) so he had to be rushed back. Gattis went 1-for-8 with three strikeouts on his two-game minor league rehab assignment at Triple-A Gwinnett.
The 26-year-old slugger was batting .252/.317/.577 with 14 home runs and 11 doubles in 53 games for the Braves before hitting the shelf.
In a corresponding move, B.J. Upton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right abductor muscle strain. He suffered the injury on Friday night and it hadn’t improved much by Sunday morning.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 119
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)