Jul 14, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Mets manager Terry Collins informed outfielder Jordany Valdespin, sitting on a .566 OPS this season, that he was being optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas. Valdespin, known in the past for being emotional and sometimes immature, did not take the news well. As Jorge Castillo of The Star Ledger describes it, Valdespin threw a temper tantrum:
[…] the exuberant utilityman snapped in anger in the visitors’ clubhouse at PNC Park, yelling furiously while his startled teammates looked on, according to two people who witnessed the episode.
The witnesses requested anonymity to speak freely on the matter.
Bullpen coach Ricky Bones had to calm Valdespin down, according to one witness.
Mike Puma is reporting Valdespin was a bit more colorful than the aforementioned article may lead you to believe.
Was told Valdespin had a confrontation with Terry Collins and called the manager a “c – – ksucker” and demanded to be placed on the DL.
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) July 15, 2013
As the anonymous observer Castillo quoted in his article is right: “you just need to shut up and pack your bags.” Valdespin can hit his way back onto the Mets lineup, just like Ike Davis did.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)