Jul 14, 2013, 11:35 PM EST
Mets manager Terry Collins informed outfielder Jordany Valdespin, sitting on a .566 OPS this season, that he was being optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas. Valdespin, known in the past for being emotional and sometimes immature, did not take the news well. As Jorge Castillo of The Star Ledger describes it, Valdespin threw a temper tantrum:
[…] the exuberant utilityman snapped in anger in the visitors’ clubhouse at PNC Park, yelling furiously while his startled teammates looked on, according to two people who witnessed the episode.
The witnesses requested anonymity to speak freely on the matter.
Bullpen coach Ricky Bones had to calm Valdespin down, according to one witness.
Mike Puma is reporting Valdespin was a bit more colorful than the aforementioned article may lead you to believe.
Was told Valdespin had a confrontation with Terry Collins and called the manager a “c – – ksucker” and demanded to be placed on the DL.
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) July 15, 2013
As the anonymous observer Castillo quoted in his article is right: “you just need to shut up and pack your bags.” Valdespin can hit his way back onto the Mets lineup, just like Ike Davis did.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)