Jul 14, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Mets manager Terry Collins informed outfielder Jordany Valdespin, sitting on a .566 OPS this season, that he was being optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas. Valdespin, known in the past for being emotional and sometimes immature, did not take the news well. As Jorge Castillo of The Star Ledger describes it, Valdespin threw a temper tantrum:
[...] the exuberant utilityman snapped in anger in the visitors’ clubhouse at PNC Park, yelling furiously while his startled teammates looked on, according to two people who witnessed the episode.
The witnesses requested anonymity to speak freely on the matter.
Bullpen coach Ricky Bones had to calm Valdespin down, according to one witness.
Mike Puma is reporting Valdespin was a bit more colorful than the aforementioned article may lead you to believe.
Was told Valdespin had a confrontation with Terry Collins and called the manager a “c – – ksucker” and demanded to be placed on the DL.
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) July 15, 2013
As the anonymous observer Castillo quoted in his article is right: “you just need to shut up and pack your bags.” Valdespin can hit his way back onto the Mets lineup, just like Ike Davis did.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)