Jul 14, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Mets manager Terry Collins informed outfielder Jordany Valdespin, sitting on a .566 OPS this season, that he was being optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas. Valdespin, known in the past for being emotional and sometimes immature, did not take the news well. As Jorge Castillo of The Star Ledger describes it, Valdespin threw a temper tantrum:
[...] the exuberant utilityman snapped in anger in the visitors’ clubhouse at PNC Park, yelling furiously while his startled teammates looked on, according to two people who witnessed the episode.
The witnesses requested anonymity to speak freely on the matter.
Bullpen coach Ricky Bones had to calm Valdespin down, according to one witness.
Mike Puma is reporting Valdespin was a bit more colorful than the aforementioned article may lead you to believe.
Was told Valdespin had a confrontation with Terry Collins and called the manager a “c – – ksucker” and demanded to be placed on the DL.
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) July 15, 2013
As the anonymous observer Castillo quoted in his article is right: “you just need to shut up and pack your bags.” Valdespin can hit his way back onto the Mets lineup, just like Ike Davis did.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)