Justin Verlander’s great outing marred by quad injury

Jul 14, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT

Texas Rangers v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Justin Verlander brought a no-hit bid against the Rangers into the seventh inning, getting two quick outs on fly balls before Mitch Moreland doubled to center. He retired Elvis Andrus on a pop-up to end the inning, and as it would turn out, his afternoon. Verlander left with tightness in his right quadriceps, though the injury is not serious. Over seven shutout innings, Verlander allowed just the one hit while walking three and striking out three as the Tigers went on to defeat the Rangers 5-0.

With today’s outing, Verlander lowered his ERA to 3.50 and he earned his 10th win of the season. Because he pitched this afternoon, Verlander would have been eligible to pitch one inning maximum in Tuesday’s All-Star Game. American League manager Jim Leyland yesterday said he would not use any Sunday starter in the game, however. As a result, Orioles starter Chris Tillman took his spot on the All-Star roster.

1. heyblueyoustink - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Kind of a reckless approach by Leyland in handling the Ace of all Aces, even considering leaving him in there if he’s slightly dinged up.

With the Phills, I’ve seen that kind of attitude backfire and then some.

2. historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Baer, this is NOT Tigers awesomeness. I’m gonna have to give you the angry eyebrows and it’s all your own fault. >:(

• paperlions - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Nice frown lines.

• historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Oh, are you done making notes in your notebook from the futures game?

• historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

And I have nice skin. So, pbbblt!

• historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

he he We are annoying people today!

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Just today? ;-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

blue, you get Mondays.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Sheesh.

• historiophiliac - Jul 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Age before beauty, you know. LOL!

(I’m joking, paper.)

3. beelza - Jul 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Marred, no way, not for people in detroit. It was the best JV pitched, maybe all season considering the hitters Texas runs out there. Mad Max got dinged, and JV listened to all those who said he wasn’t All-Star worthy (including me) and did what he’s always done – proved himself on the mound. High leverage win this was. Cleveland could’ve tied for the division lead going into the break, but they aren’t. JV refuses to give in, I hope his teammates do the same.

• Kevin Gillman - Jul 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Cleveland is still just 1 1/2 games out, and right now, they have an easier schedule the rest of the season. It will be fun to watch regardless.

4. mc1439 - Jul 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM

With my new website I found that stretching 12 minutes a day you could avoid injuries like this and make $6,800 a month. All you have to do is stretch and a check gets mailed to you out of no where. Just make a website and stretch! It works for me and I was able to leave my day job!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate