Jul 14, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Cubs starter Matt Garza has been informed that he will likely be traded, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The right-hander has emerged as the most sought-after pitcher, posting a 3.17 ERA in 11 starts since making his season debut on May 21. Garza missed the first seven weeks of the season due to a strained right lat suffered after pitchers and catchers reported in February.
Heyman lists the Rangers, Indians, Red Sox, and Cardinals as four noteworthy teams expressing interest in Garza’s services, with the Rangers and Indians being the most serious.
Also in the article, Heyman says that the Cubs and Garza attempted to work out a contract extension, but the two sides could not come to an agreement on the average annual value.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)