Jul 14, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Cubs starter Matt Garza has been informed that he will likely be traded, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The right-hander has emerged as the most sought-after pitcher, posting a 3.17 ERA in 11 starts since making his season debut on May 21. Garza missed the first seven weeks of the season due to a strained right lat suffered after pitchers and catchers reported in February.
Heyman lists the Rangers, Indians, Red Sox, and Cardinals as four noteworthy teams expressing interest in Garza’s services, with the Rangers and Indians being the most serious.
Also in the article, Heyman says that the Cubs and Garza attempted to work out a contract extension, but the two sides could not come to an agreement on the average annual value.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)