Matt Garza receives word he will likely be traded

Jul 14, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT

Matt Garza Getty Getty Images

Cubs starter Matt Garza has been informed that he will likely be traded, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The right-hander has emerged as the most sought-after pitcher, posting a 3.17 ERA in 11 starts since making his season debut on May 21. Garza missed the first seven weeks of the season due to a strained right lat suffered after pitchers and catchers reported in February.

Heyman lists the Rangers, Indians, Red Sox, and Cardinals as four noteworthy teams expressing interest in Garza’s services, with the Rangers and Indians being the most serious.

Also in the article, Heyman says that the Cubs and Garza attempted to work out a contract extension, but the two sides could not come to an agreement on the average annual value.

1. tigers182 - Jul 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Good thing he was warned. All the news reports for the last few months weren’t enough to warn him.

• sabatimus - Jul 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Perhaps, like a lot of players, he doesn’t consume media about himself..

2. paperlions - Jul 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I hope the Cardinals don’t bother with such a deal. Garza represents only a small upgrade over their internal options and the price for that very small and very short-term upgrade will likely be huge.

• cardslifer - Jul 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I agree that Cardinals shouldn’t waste good prospects on Garza,
      but he would be a significant increase from what we have now as far as a solid 2 or 3 pitcher.

• paperlions - Jul 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Over 12 starts, which is all you would be getting from him, you’d be lucky if he was worth 1 more win. If he is replacing Kelly, he’s probably not even worth that much…Kelly has been just fine as the #5.

3. cardslifer - Jul 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Agreed. But my point is more directly related to playoff starters.
    I’m far more concerned with Lynn than Miller.

That being said I still think it would be hard to ship atleast 2 good prospects for a rental player.

I presonally am not worried about the Cards making a move on him because I feel other teams will be willing to offer more than what Mo has traditionally been willing to offer for an expensive rental player.

• gibbyfan - Jul 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I agree….Lynn has posted great numbers but I am fearful that bubble is ready to burst–unless he can master another pitch ot two…….pray for Carp to come through

4. proudlycanadian - Jul 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

This is funny. Earlier in the day, an ESPN report said that the Rangers and the Jays were front runners for Garza. I am not a fan of Heyman, but I trust his reporting more than I trust the reporting by ESPN.

5. beerjunkie - Jul 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM

He’s going to the Rangers.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Perhaps! Not sure if the Cubs would want Olt from Texas as he is having a terrible season in the minors.

6. chortlz - Jul 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM

do not discount the Red Sox. they’ve been interested in Garza for a few yrs; they do have prospects that Hoyer and Epstein covet and btw Anthony Rizzo was also an Epstein draftee before he was traded to SD for Adrian Gonzalez

7. psousa1 - Jul 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Epstein is going to try to trade him to any AL East team not located in Boston. Good luck cub fans. You are going to have 5 years worth of ‘bridge years’.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic