Jul 14, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
Many of the same teams that have had strong interest in Chicago Cubs right-hander Matt Garza were on hand to watch his outing on Saturday night at Wrigley Field.
The Texas Rangers and Toronto Blue Jays remain the front-runners for a trade with Chicago, according to industry sources. The Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians and San Francisco Giants have also expressed strong interest in the pitcher.
Garza was not great in that start, allowing two earned runs on 10 hits and two walks over 6 2/3 innings against the rival Cardinals. But he still has a shiny 3.17 ERA and 1.14 WHIP in 71 total innings this season and he’s probably the best available starting pitcher on the trade market (unless the Phillies suddenly decide to shop ace left-hander Cliff Lee).
Garza, 29, is making $10.25 million this season in his final year of salary arbitration. Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune hears that he will be traded before his next turn in the Cubs’ starting rotation.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)