Jul 14, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that the Twins are refusing to discuss a contract extension with first baseman Justin Morneau until after the July 31 trade deadline. The 39-53 Twins are looking to trade the 32-year-old, who is earning $14 million in the final year of a six-year, $80 million contract. Berardino writes that Morneau’s representatives approached the Twins in the past week to talk contract extension, but were rebuffed.
Twins GM Terry Ryan said, “I don’t think it’s very smart for me to get into Morneau’s contract. I’m keeping all options open.”
Morneau is hitting .268 with seven home runs and a .727 OPS this season, mediocre numbers from a first baseman. His current .400 slugging percentage would be a career-low among the nine seasons in which he has accrued at least 300 plate appearances.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The expectation is that Castillo will get some major league experience in September.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Gomes suffered the concussion last Thursday when he was hit in the catcher’s mask by a deflected ball.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The struggling Wright hasn’t played since leaving Sunday’s game with neck spasms.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Nolan Reimold has been claimed off waivers for the second time in a month, going from the Orioles to the Blue Jays and now to the Diamondbacks.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
This is just sad.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
It’s five o’clock. Let’s end the work day with a big bunch of arguing, ok?
Aug 28, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
There was no perfect game involved and in fact the 46 batters stretched over the course of eight appearances. Mark Buehrle held the previous record of 45 back in 2009.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
It’s not been a good week for Phillies brass.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Soria made just six appearances for the Tigers after being acquired from the Rangers in July.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Not many rookies in recent MLB history have done as much running as The Fastest Man In Baseball.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Umpire to Perez: “You smell good, Salvy!” I am not making that up.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
With a load of great hitting prospects and the dough to go get pitching, things may soon be looking up on the north side of Chicago
Aug 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sorry. There’s no joke there. Just a cool picture. Including Vedder with a sweet 70s-80s Tigers road uni.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Last night after the Brewers lost to the Padres in extra innings manager Ron Roenicke tore into home plate umpire Mark Ripperger, who ejected Roenicke from the game in the ninth inning.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Four players (Cole Hamels, Domonic Brown, David Buchanan, and Kyle Kendrick) have publicly criticized and/or disrespected Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg this month, but the rookie skipper insists it’s “not a big deal.”
Aug 28, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
MLB.com strung together video of all nine hits, which is weirdly mesmerizing to watch.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
And his reaction to it was even better.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke get most of the attention in the Dodgers’ rotation–and rightfully so–but Ryu has also been fantastic with a 3.12 ERA in 53 starts since signing a six-year, $36 million contract with Los Angeles last offseason.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
The Yankees are two and a half games back in the wild card and could use a shot in the arm.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
“Jay Z welcomed him to the States.”
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 129
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (127)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)