Jul 15, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Scherzer’s winning streak came to an end in his final first-half start, but he’s 13-1 with a 3.19 ERA and 152/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings. If not for the impressive win total (and Jim Leyland doing the choosing) it’s possible that Scherzer would not have gotten the assignment, as he ranks ninth in the AL in ERA. Of course, regardless of how you feel about evaluating pitchers on win-loss records he’s been really, really good for the Tigers.
This is Scherzer’s first All-Star game and dating back to mid-June of last season he’s 24-4 with a 2.88 ERA and 295 strikeouts in 247 innings spread over 38 starts.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)