Jul 15, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Scherzer’s winning streak came to an end in his final first-half start, but he’s 13-1 with a 3.19 ERA and 152/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings. If not for the impressive win total (and Jim Leyland doing the choosing) it’s possible that Scherzer would not have gotten the assignment, as he ranks ninth in the AL in ERA. Of course, regardless of how you feel about evaluating pitchers on win-loss records he’s been really, really good for the Tigers.
This is Scherzer’s first All-Star game and dating back to mid-June of last season he’s 24-4 with a 2.88 ERA and 295 strikeouts in 247 innings spread over 38 starts.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)