Jul 15, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Scherzer’s winning streak came to an end in his final first-half start, but he’s 13-1 with a 3.19 ERA and 152/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings. If not for the impressive win total (and Jim Leyland doing the choosing) it’s possible that Scherzer would not have gotten the assignment, as he ranks ninth in the AL in ERA. Of course, regardless of how you feel about evaluating pitchers on win-loss records he’s been really, really good for the Tigers.
This is Scherzer’s first All-Star game and dating back to mid-June of last season he’s 24-4 with a 2.88 ERA and 295 strikeouts in 247 innings spread over 38 starts.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)