Jul 15, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Scherzer’s winning streak came to an end in his final first-half start, but he’s 13-1 with a 3.19 ERA and 152/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings. If not for the impressive win total (and Jim Leyland doing the choosing) it’s possible that Scherzer would not have gotten the assignment, as he ranks ninth in the AL in ERA. Of course, regardless of how you feel about evaluating pitchers on win-loss records he’s been really, really good for the Tigers.
This is Scherzer’s first All-Star game and dating back to mid-June of last season he’s 24-4 with a 2.88 ERA and 295 strikeouts in 247 innings spread over 38 starts.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)