Jul 15, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
The Red Sox had Clay Buchholz throw a bullpen session yesterday as opposed to a rehab start as originally planned. While the change was designed to help his arm strength following shoulder bursitis, the timeline for his return remains a mystery.
According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, Buchholz said today that he still felt some soreness during his bullpen session yesterday. There’s no plan for a rehab start at this time and he’s expected to be reevaluated after the All-Star break. Buchholz told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that he’s aiming to throw a bullpen session Thursday, so the Red Sox could map things out from there if there’s no discomfort. He’ll need to make it through a simulated game before being cleared for a rehab start.
Buchholz has been out of action since June 8. The 28-year-old right-hander was off to a fantastic start prior to hitting the disabled list, posting a 1.71 ERA and 81/29 K/BB ratio over 84 1/3 innings. His absence appears likely to stretch into August at this point.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)