Jul 15, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Media availability for the National League All-Stars is going on at the moment. These things are usually pretty rote “I’m just happy to be here” events. Occasionally, though, someone says something interesting. Clayton Kershaw just did.
At his press conference today NL Manager Bruce Bochy said that NL starting pitcher Matt Harvey would have been worthy of starting the game no matter where the game was being held:
“It wouldn’t have mattered what city we were playing in with the year he’s had.”
This seemingly benign comment goes against the view that Kershaw has been the better overall starter but that, in a close call, Harvey got the nod because he’s playing at home.
Kersahw certainly thinks it’s a hometown call, and didn’t much care for Bochy’s view that it wasn’t. He said to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times and other assembled reporters, “that’s his opinion” and “It hurts. Yeah, it hurts.”
Someone, I presume, is about to get a crash refresher course in how to give “I’m just happy to be here” quotes. For my part, though, I kinda like that he’s disappointed. I’m glad to see someone cares about it.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)