Jul 15, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
Media availability for the National League All-Stars is going on at the moment. These things are usually pretty rote “I’m just happy to be here” events. Occasionally, though, someone says something interesting. Clayton Kershaw just did.
At his press conference today NL Manager Bruce Bochy said that NL starting pitcher Matt Harvey would have been worthy of starting the game no matter where the game was being held:
“It wouldn’t have mattered what city we were playing in with the year he’s had.”
This seemingly benign comment goes against the view that Kershaw has been the better overall starter but that, in a close call, Harvey got the nod because he’s playing at home.
Kersahw certainly thinks it’s a hometown call, and didn’t much care for Bochy’s view that it wasn’t. He said to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times and other assembled reporters, “that’s his opinion” and “It hurts. Yeah, it hurts.”
Someone, I presume, is about to get a crash refresher course in how to give “I’m just happy to be here” quotes. For my part, though, I kinda like that he’s disappointed. I’m glad to see someone cares about it.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)