Jul 15, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Media availability for the National League All-Stars is going on at the moment. These things are usually pretty rote “I’m just happy to be here” events. Occasionally, though, someone says something interesting. Clayton Kershaw just did.
At his press conference today NL Manager Bruce Bochy said that NL starting pitcher Matt Harvey would have been worthy of starting the game no matter where the game was being held:
“It wouldn’t have mattered what city we were playing in with the year he’s had.”
This seemingly benign comment goes against the view that Kershaw has been the better overall starter but that, in a close call, Harvey got the nod because he’s playing at home.
Kersahw certainly thinks it’s a hometown call, and didn’t much care for Bochy’s view that it wasn’t. He said to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times and other assembled reporters, “that’s his opinion” and “It hurts. Yeah, it hurts.”
Someone, I presume, is about to get a crash refresher course in how to give “I’m just happy to be here” quotes. For my part, though, I kinda like that he’s disappointed. I’m glad to see someone cares about it.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)