Jul 15, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Media availability for the National League All-Stars is going on at the moment. These things are usually pretty rote “I’m just happy to be here” events. Occasionally, though, someone says something interesting. Clayton Kershaw just did.
At his press conference today NL Manager Bruce Bochy said that NL starting pitcher Matt Harvey would have been worthy of starting the game no matter where the game was being held:
“It wouldn’t have mattered what city we were playing in with the year he’s had.”
This seemingly benign comment goes against the view that Kershaw has been the better overall starter but that, in a close call, Harvey got the nod because he’s playing at home.
Kersahw certainly thinks it’s a hometown call, and didn’t much care for Bochy’s view that it wasn’t. He said to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times and other assembled reporters, “that’s his opinion” and “It hurts. Yeah, it hurts.”
Someone, I presume, is about to get a crash refresher course in how to give “I’m just happy to be here” quotes. For my part, though, I kinda like that he’s disappointed. I’m glad to see someone cares about it.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)