Jul 15, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez has been drawing plenty of interest around MLB, but teams have been unable to bid on him because he had to secure an unblocking license from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) first. The wait is officially over.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Gonzalez has been cleared by the U.S. government and is now free to sign with any team. The bidding is expected to move pretty quickly, as Sanchez hears that a deal could come together within the next two weeks.
Gonzalez defected from Cuba earlier this year and took up residency in Mexico while waiting to be cleared to come to the United States. The 26-year-old stands at 6-foot-3 and was described by Sanchez as having “a fastball in the mid-90s, a changeup, fork and a curveball.”
Because Gonzalez is older than 23 years old and played in Cuba’s top league for more than three seasons, he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending cap. One recent report suggested he could get a deal in the range of $40-60 million. The Dodgers, Red Sox, and Cubs are among the teams expected to be in the mix.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)