Jul 15, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez has been drawing plenty of interest around MLB, but teams have been unable to bid on him because he had to secure an unblocking license from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) first. The wait is officially over.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Gonzalez has been cleared by the U.S. government and is now free to sign with any team. The bidding is expected to move pretty quickly, as Sanchez hears that a deal could come together within the next two weeks.
Gonzalez defected from Cuba earlier this year and took up residency in Mexico while waiting to be cleared to come to the United States. The 26-year-old stands at 6-foot-3 and was described by Sanchez as having “a fastball in the mid-90s, a changeup, fork and a curveball.”
Because Gonzalez is older than 23 years old and played in Cuba’s top league for more than three seasons, he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending cap. One recent report suggested he could get a deal in the range of $40-60 million. The Dodgers, Red Sox, and Cubs are among the teams expected to be in the mix.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)