Jul 15, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
Matt Garza shot down yesterday’s report that the Cubs informed him he was going to be traded, but that obviously doesn’t mean he’s staying in Chicago. In fact, David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that Garza is likely to be traded this week.
According to Kaplan “several teams have decided they are willing to engage Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer in serious negotiations” during the All-Star break rather than waiting until the July 31 trade deadline. Garza has been linked to the Cardinals, Blue Jays, Rangers, and Indians.
Since returning from the disabled list in mid-May to make his delayed season debut Garza has started 11 games with a 3.17 ERA and 62/20 K/BB ratio in 71 innings, going at least six innings and allowing two or fewer runs in each of his last six starts.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)