Jul 15, 2013, 1:27 PM EST
Matt Garza shot down yesterday’s report that the Cubs informed him he was going to be traded, but that obviously doesn’t mean he’s staying in Chicago. In fact, David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that Garza is likely to be traded this week.
According to Kaplan “several teams have decided they are willing to engage Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer in serious negotiations” during the All-Star break rather than waiting until the July 31 trade deadline. Garza has been linked to the Cardinals, Blue Jays, Rangers, and Indians.
Since returning from the disabled list in mid-May to make his delayed season debut Garza has started 11 games with a 3.17 ERA and 62/20 K/BB ratio in 71 innings, going at least six innings and allowing two or fewer runs in each of his last six starts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)