National League chooses Matt Harvey for All-Star start

Jul 15, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Matt Harvey Getty Images

Nothing is official yet, but Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports what everyone has been assuming: Matt Harvey will start the All-Star game for the National League in his home ballpark.

Harvey is certainly deserving of the assignment, posting a 2.55 ERA and league-leading 147 strikeouts in a dominant first half at age 24, although former Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers leads the NL with a 1.98 ERA (and has 139 strikeouts) and the story would probably be a whole lot different if the All-Star game were being playing at Dodger Stadium.

1. stlouis1baseball - Jul 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

As if they were actually going to throw Kershaw when the ASG is being held at Citi field.
    It matters not though. A Harvey/Kershaw one-two is gonna’ be tough to beat.

• hiflew - Jul 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Why would you say that? Kershaw has proven to be very beatable this year despite having a good ERA. I know modern baseball thinkers want to discount pitching wins, but it still means your team lost the game that you were pitching. I think winning and losing is still the point of the game, but maybe that has changed too.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I am glad you brought Pitcher wins.
        I give you three very good examples of why Pitcher wins are essentially meaningless (when determining a pitchers performance).
        1) Felix Hernandez when he won the Cy Young award a few years ago.
        2) Cliff Lee during the last couple of years.
        3) Edward Mujica LAST NIGHT.
        Dude blew the save (costing Waino the coveted ‘W.’). The Cardinals rallied for (4) runs in the top of the 9th. Guess who got that coveted ‘W?’ Yep…Mujica.
        After blowing the damn save!
        That should tell you everything you need to know about pitcher wins.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I must make a qualification Hiflew.
        I am far from a sabermetrics kind of guy.
        I like Batting Average, On Base Percentage and Slugging Percentage.
        Quite frankly…
        I don’t understand a lot of the sabermetrics and trying to figure them out makes my head hurt. But I also know my way of watching/thinking/enjoying the game is not necessarily better than anyone else’s.
        I also know a Pitchers win/loss record doesn’t tell you how well said pitcher…pitched.
        Invariably, it tells you how well your team played offensively and defensively.

• hiflew - Jul 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM

So 17 of you think that winning and losing are NOT the point of the game and only one person agrees? That saddens me, but I will still sleep well tonight. Pitching wins aren’t perfect, but they still matter. I will accept that relief pitcher wins mean absolutely nothing and are just basically a luck of the draw situation, but wins still should matter for starting pitchers. A starter’s job is to allow fewer runs than the opposing starting pitcher or BEAT him.

Felix Hernandez did not deserve to win the award the year he won (David Price did), he did deserve to win it the year before when Greinke won though. The Cy Young Award is named after the pitcher with the most WINS of all time. It is not called the Walter Johnson Award or the Christy Mathewson Award despite both of them being arguably better pitchers than Young. I don’t believe that the award should automatically go to the pitcher with the most wins, but I’ll take an 18-6 pitcher with a 3.00 ERA on my team over a 14-12 pitcher with a 2.60 ERA on your team any day. You can pretend your pitcher is better while watching mine in the playoffs.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM

“I’ll take an 18-6 pitcher with a 3.00 ERA on my team over a 14-12 pitcher with a 2.60 ERA on your team any day. You can pretend your pitcher is better while watching mine in the playoffs.”

You just proved my point hiflew:

Your 18 – 6 pitcher with a 3.00 ERA is the beneficiary of a better offense.
        Again…you can be lights out. Hold your opponent to (1 – 2) runs and lose the game because your offense is stagnant (or otherwise non-existent). Did the pitcher pitch well? Hell yes.
        Additionally, you can get blown up for 5 – 6 runs and win the game because your offense was hitting frozen ropes the whole game. Did the pitcher pitch well?
        Of course not.

I didn’t say Pitcher wins weren’t important. Only that they don’t tell the whole story.
        And in a huge majority of the cases…they don’t accurately reflect any of the story.
        Cause again…you can hold em’ to a run or two runs every time out.
        It matters not over the course of the season if you don’t have an offense to back it up.
        See previous examples with regards to Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee.
        Run support (or lack thereof).

• fanofevilempire - Jul 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Harvey is better, he is 1,2 in all pitching stats.

2. jm91rs - Jul 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Doesn’t he have a blister problem right now?

• fanofevilempire - Jul 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

yeah, he skipped his last start because of the blister.

3. abudanroman - Jul 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I’m a lifelong Met fan, but I can pretty much guarantee you that Harvey will provide a Verlander (2012 All Star Game) type performance.

This has been way too over hyped.

• pizzadawg - Jul 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM

How can you “pretty much guarantee” that he’ll bomb? Have some faith in your team’s best player and stop being a wimp.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM

So your glass is always half empty?

4. tbutler704 - Jul 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM

“Whatever the case, it should be a pretty cool scene when Harvey takes the mound at Citi Field.”

As long as he’s fully clothed. He has hobbit feet and he shaves his chest. Weird.

5. christos99 - Jul 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Harveys girlfriend is the reason why he starts over Kershaw…

Grady Fuson: Artie, who do you like?
    Scout Artie: I like Perez. He’s got a classy swing, it’s a real clean stroke.
    Scout Barry: He can’t hit the curve ball.
    Scout Artie: Yeah, there’s some work to be done, I’ll admit that.
    Scout Barry: Yeah, there is.
    Scout Artie: But he’s noticeable.
    Matt Keough: And an ugly girlfriend.
    Scout Barry: What does that mean?
    Matt Keough: Ugly girl friend means no confidence.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3970)