Video: Matt Harvey asks New Yorkers what they think of Matt Harvey

Jul 15, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT

Mets right-hander Matt Harvey will start the All-Star Game tomorrow for the National League, but he may have a future in comedy.

In a skit for NBC’s “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon,” Harvey took to the streets in New York to ask people what they thought about this Matt Harvey character. It was pretty brilliant.

I don’t want to spoil anything before you watch it, but let’s just say that Lucas Duda has a big fan out there.

1. historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Freaking hilarious! Loved how he freaked the kid out. Also, great moment when the dude asked him why he posed for the Body Issue like that.

2. Reflex - Jul 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

That was classic. My aunt is a big baseball fan and she was rolling when he pulled out the pic from The Body issue(then asked me where she could get a copy). Great stuff!

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

He does have nice baseballs.

• Reflex - Jul 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I wouldn’t know. Although despite being in her 60′s, I’m certain my aunt would love to figure it out. Her stories about living near the Navy base and men in uniform are…..entertaining. I hope to live to be old enough to tell stories like that with impunity.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

A Cougar eh?

• Reflex - Jul 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Not really, despite her youthful fun, once she met her husband(a Navy man of course) she was completely in love and never even tempted. You may ask how I’d know that she was never tempted but the fact that he died of a sudden heart attack in 1989 and she has made zero attempt to date since, and keeps his photo next to her bed really says it all.

She talks a good line, and tells some hilarious stories about sneaking in and out of barracks at odd hours, and wonders out loud how many ships are still named after her, but the truth is when she found the man she loved there was no room for anyone else after.

• historiophiliac - Jul 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM

That’s sweet.

3. Last Road Reviews - Jul 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Matt is the best. Love watching this guy every 5 days

4. tbutler704 - Jul 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Even Met fans wearing Met gear don’t know this kid! Not surprised with SNY’s terrible ratings.

5. larrybiv - Jul 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Absolutely the most ingenious interview. I really did actually lol. I do wonder though, how many out takes there were of people that recognized him. He seems to be the second coming of Tom Terrific himself. Stay healthy and use those legs, like Tom did.

• km9000 - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

If the baseball thing doesn’t work out, maybe he could replace Leno after he retires for the third or fourth time.

6. hdhuntercbc - Jul 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Reblogged this on chimentoblog and commented:
    I am a Red Sox fan, but love this from Matt Harvey. Plus, he is a local Connecticut boy so congrats to him on getting the start. He did a great job interviewing those fans and I loved the kid’s reaction at the end. Go Sox!

• jimeejohnson - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Remember that time Mookie’s little dribbler rolled right thru Buckner’s legs? Whadya mean, “no”?

7. giantssb42champs - Jul 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Seriously, it’s tough to NOT like Matt Harvey.

8. ctony1216 - Jul 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Hilarious! But the thing is it’s hard to recognize people when they’re not wearing the same clothes (or no clothes?) you’re used to seeing them in. For instance, I thought for sure that I saw James Shields at Serendipity restaurant in NYC last Wednesday, but since he wasn’t wearing his Royals uniform, it was hard to tell for sure. Hey James, was that you?

(By the way, if you’re ever in NYC with kids, Serendipity makes awesome desserts — the Frozen Hot Chocolate and the Forbidden Broadway sundae are big hits.)

9. ctony1216 - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Now I understand why Lois Lane didn’t recognize that Clark Kent was Superman.

• km9000 - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM

He does look more like Superman than the guy who played him in the new movie…

10. wpjohnson - Jul 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Harvey, so far, is about 50% production and 50% New York hype. Let’s wait a year or two to see if he is Tom Seaver or Bill Pulsipher.

11. notsofast10 - Jul 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Very fun to watch!

12. beerjunkie - Jul 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Hey Matt Harvey! You’re nothing special. You will crash and burn in a few years and snort and shoot up your cash in a downward spiral of depression before developing into a serial killer along south Jersey beaches during prime number months during full moons.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Have another beer. Perhaps it will cause you to pass out and give the rest of us a break!

• km9000 - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM

If he thought he was that special, he probably wouldn’t have accepted a gig where he goes around talking to fans who don’t even recognize him.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

You are a bundle of optimism Junkie. Nothing but positive vibes throughout each of your posts.
      To celebrate your positive outlook…
      I am going to leave work in about an hour and pound some beer myself.
      While doing so I will be sure to also celebrate NOT being you.

*s/