Jul 15, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
Following the Home Run Derby from on-site is … weird. It’s a made for TV event, really. And when you’re sitting out behind the left field foul pole in a temporary press box that is sort of insulated from the sounds of the ballpark you lose your gravity pretty quickly. I had the MLB.com feed on for a while but it was on a delay. Then they started pumping some foreign language broadcast of it. Eventually they caved and gave us Chris Berman. Back-back-back and, really, most of the writers here would be better following this on TV from home. Perhaps with the sound off. It’s be the same product for us with the added bonus that our employers would not have to pay for our dinner.
I got a steak sandwich from Pat LaFrieda’s, by the way. It was glorious. Thanks, NBC.
Anyway, the first round happened. Here are the results:
Cespedes’ performance was pretty impressive. Lots of long shots. Seemed to have a much better groove than anyone, and his total certainly reflects that. Bryce Harper’s advancing was somewhat surprising given that his dad — who pitched to him — was busting him inside a lot. Probably a lot of latent family issues there.
Cespedes, Davis, Harper and Cuddyer are now in the second round. Cespedes’ first round total almost ensures him a trip to the finals, but we’ll see. This thing will eventually end. And since it started with a performance by Pitbull, it will end better than it began.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)