Chris Davis had a bloody blister on his hand during the Home Run Derby

Jul 16, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT

Chris Davis has hit the most homers in the first half, but he didn’t have a great Home Run Debry. Why? A blister. A bloody one at that:

Of course if he doesn’t hit 60 homers or something this year we’ll hear people say he knocked off the PEDs in mid-July, because that’s how folks roll these days, it seems.

1. unclemosesgreen - Jul 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Crush should look up Jorge Posada for some tips on toughening his hands.

• trollingforjustice - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

didn’t Melky Cabrera use urine to make his hands tough?

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Guess who taught him?

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Along with Moises Alou and Vladimir Guerrero.

• GH - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I thought Moises Alou was the first to come out about peeing on his hands – I remember Dusty having a comment for the ages about how he had always wondered why all the guys never gave him a high-five and only went with the pound.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Jul 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM

The urine solution must be a Dominican thing.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Jul 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I always wondered how to do this. Do you do it in the shower where you can immediately wash it off. Or do you get a jar and start dipping.

I mean who amongst us, haven’t in the shower? Lez be honest…

2. rollinghighwayblues - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I was totally perplexed on what the hell “passes” batting gloves were.

• rocketsteadman - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Don’t people spell check their tweets? What’s this world coming to?
      /sighs deeply

• Jeremy T - Jul 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM

In my day, people RESPECTED the Twitters

3. chip56 - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Just something to consider – these are players – not the big bad media out to blow PEDs out of proportion. Not silly fans. But the actual players and their take on a certain record:

{Chris} Davis told The Baltimore Sun he believed the {single season homerun} record belonged to Maris, a contention he echoed again at Citi Field before Monday’s Home Run Derby.

“I hadn’t really given it much thought until this year, and after everything came out, I assumed 61 was the record,” Davis said. “I think it’s what a lot of fans would agree on.”

Ben Zobrist’s argument against Bonds, McGwire and Sosa centers on PED use – and even he hedged a little by calling Maris’ total the “natural record.”

“If it was proven the other guys who have all gone over 61 were all using performance-enhancing substances at that time – if it was proven – yeah, I’d have to say the natural record is 61,” Zobrist said.

____________

To be fair there were other players in this article, Jason Kipnis, Verlander, Votto, Alex Gordon who call 73 the record.

• km9000 - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Davis kinda paints himself in a corner, because if hits 62+, won’t he be asked if he considers himself the new HR champ?

• chip56 - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Yup. That’s exactly what he did there.

4. melidoperez - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

All his holier than thou talk lately has obviously led to stigmata.

• pbastille - Jul 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Chris Davis? Holier than thou? I’ve never met the guy, but in the many interviews I’ve seen with him since he became an Oriole, I’ve seen nothing other than a humble, down-to-earth guy.

5. rj88888 - Jul 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Padded?

6. beerjunkie - Jul 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

RESPECT the Twitters?? Bah haha haha haha. Bah haha haha.

7. inthearex - Jul 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Not sure if it was necessary to throw the PED talk on this article.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If it involves baseball and homeruns PED references are always lurking closely by.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win