Jul 16, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Following yesterday’s news that highly sought after Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez is officially a free agent, Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that another Cuban pitcher, right-hander Dalier Hinojosa, has also been cleared to sign with MLB teams.
Hinojosa defected from Cuba in February and has been petitioning MLB and the U.S. government for free agent status since. Sanchez writes that the 27-year-old Hinojosa “throws a fastball in the low-to-mid 90s.”
He’s an outright free agent and not subject to the draft because he’s older than 23 with more than three years of experience in Cuba, so expect a big payday.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17