Jul 16, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
In speaking to a gathering of Baseball Writers Association of America members today MLB executive vice president Joe Torre revealed that he’s “pretty confident” expanded instant replay will be in place for next season.
Players would have to sign off on any agreement, so Torre also made it clear that “we’re still in the tweaking stages” and “we’re not limiting ourselves.”
Of course, it’s also worth noting that Bud Selig said similarly optimistic things last October about having expanded replay for 2013, only to have Torre announce in February that it wasn’t happening.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 42
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29