Jul 16, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
This is my first All-Star Game but reporters I spoke with said that, by far, the players are far more accessible this year than they have been at All-Star Games past. Just saw a good example of this down on the field as the AL Players were coming out for warmups.
This wasn’t one of those orchestrated deals where players appear to have been told to go do things for the troops. They are just walking back and forth from the clubhouse to the field, past throngs of fans hanging over the rails, the reporters and the assembled hoi polloy. Because they have places to be they obviously can’t stop for everyone. But most of the players — not just Trout and Scherzer — are stopping for the troops. Who, by the way, are over the moon each time one stops.
The vibe here is so friendly. So relaxed. I’ve sort of complained that everyone keeps saying “I’m just happy to be here.” But really, they all appear very happy to be here.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)