Jul 16, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
This is my first All-Star Game but reporters I spoke with said that, by far, the players are far more accessible this year than they have been at All-Star Games past. Just saw a good example of this down on the field as the AL Players were coming out for warmups.
This wasn’t one of those orchestrated deals where players appear to have been told to go do things for the troops. They are just walking back and forth from the clubhouse to the field, past throngs of fans hanging over the rails, the reporters and the assembled hoi polloy. Because they have places to be they obviously can’t stop for everyone. But most of the players — not just Trout and Scherzer — are stopping for the troops. Who, by the way, are over the moon each time one stops.
The vibe here is so friendly. So relaxed. I’ve sort of complained that everyone keeps saying “I’m just happy to be here.” But really, they all appear very happy to be here.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)