Jul 16, 2013, 6:40 PM EST
This is my first All-Star Game but reporters I spoke with said that, by far, the players are far more accessible this year than they have been at All-Star Games past. Just saw a good example of this down on the field as the AL Players were coming out for warmups.
This wasn’t one of those orchestrated deals where players appear to have been told to go do things for the troops. They are just walking back and forth from the clubhouse to the field, past throngs of fans hanging over the rails, the reporters and the assembled hoi polloy. Because they have places to be they obviously can’t stop for everyone. But most of the players — not just Trout and Scherzer — are stopping for the troops. Who, by the way, are over the moon each time one stops.
The vibe here is so friendly. So relaxed. I’ve sort of complained that everyone keeps saying “I’m just happy to be here.” But really, they all appear very happy to be here.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)