Jul 16, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
It’s the last thing anyone wants in an All-Star Game.
Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano was lifted in the top of the first inning tonight at Citi Field after taking a Matt Harvey fastball — clocked at 96 mph — off the inside of his right knee. It sounded bad and looked bad, but Cano limped to first base and remained in the game for a Miguel Cabrera strikeout before finally deciding into head to the dugout. Dustin Pedroia came in to replace him.
Cano was taken immediately into the AL clubhouse. Trainers should provide an update on his injury soon.
Harvey had faced 502 batters this year (including tonight’s leadoff man Mike Trout) and hit just one.
UPDATE, 8:47 p.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was told that Cano got plunked more in the quadriceps than the knee and that he should ultimately be fine. The Yankees start play again on Friday night in Boston. That should leave Cano with ample time to heal whatever bruising he might have sustained.
UPDATE, 9:01 p.m. ET: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times adds that X-rays turned up negative.
UPDATE, 9:07 p.m. ET: The official diagnosis, per Rosenthal, is a right quadriceps contusion.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)