Jul 16, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
It’s the last thing anyone wants in an All-Star Game.
Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano was lifted in the top of the first inning tonight at Citi Field after taking a Matt Harvey fastball — clocked at 96 mph — off the inside of his right knee. It sounded bad and looked bad, but Cano limped to first base and remained in the game for a Miguel Cabrera strikeout before finally deciding into head to the dugout. Dustin Pedroia came in to replace him.
Cano was taken immediately into the AL clubhouse. Trainers should provide an update on his injury soon.
Harvey had faced 502 batters this year (including tonight’s leadoff man Mike Trout) and hit just one.
UPDATE, 8:47 p.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was told that Cano got plunked more in the quadriceps than the knee and that he should ultimately be fine. The Yankees start play again on Friday night in Boston. That should leave Cano with ample time to heal whatever bruising he might have sustained.
UPDATE, 9:01 p.m. ET: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times adds that X-rays turned up negative.
UPDATE, 9:07 p.m. ET: The official diagnosis, per Rosenthal, is a right quadriceps contusion.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)