Jul 16, 2013, 10:52 PM EST
And a surprise? Mariano Rivera comes into the game in the bottom of the eighth, not the ninth. Interesting choice.
9:41 PM: The AL extends its lead, going up 2-0 after an Adam Jones double, a Joe Mauer single and J.J. Hardy hitting into a fielder’s choice which scored Jones. Oh, and a fan ran onto the field in the top of the fifth and was body slammed by a security guard right behind second base. Hope he enjoys jail tonight.
9:26 PM: Apart from the Robinson Cano HBP it had been all pitching until the top of the fourth, but then the AL drew first blood.
With Patrick Corbin on in relief of Clayton Kershaw, Miguel Cabrera doubled to right center. Then Chris Davis singled moving Cabrera to third. Jose Bautista then flew to center, deep enough to score Cabrera. Corbin got out of the inning after inducing a David Ortiz double play and we stand at 1-0 entering the bottom of the fourth.
Fun part about Cabrera’s double: just one pitch before he hit it Corbin fooled him so badly on a pitch Cabrera’s bat flew out of his hands and into the stands. The man adjusts quickly.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)