Jul 16, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
And a surprise? Mariano Rivera comes into the game in the bottom of the eighth, not the ninth. Interesting choice.
9:41 PM: The AL extends its lead, going up 2-0 after an Adam Jones double, a Joe Mauer single and J.J. Hardy hitting into a fielder’s choice which scored Jones. Oh, and a fan ran onto the field in the top of the fifth and was body slammed by a security guard right behind second base. Hope he enjoys jail tonight.
9:26 PM: Apart from the Robinson Cano HBP it had been all pitching until the top of the fourth, but then the AL drew first blood.
With Patrick Corbin on in relief of Clayton Kershaw, Miguel Cabrera doubled to right center. Then Chris Davis singled moving Cabrera to third. Jose Bautista then flew to center, deep enough to score Cabrera. Corbin got out of the inning after inducing a David Ortiz double play and we stand at 1-0 entering the bottom of the fourth.
Fun part about Cabrera’s double: just one pitch before he hit it Corbin fooled him so badly on a pitch Cabrera’s bat flew out of his hands and into the stands. The man adjusts quickly.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)