Alex Rodriguez expects to be back with the Yankees on Monday

Jul 17, 2013, 3:37 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP

Like it or not, here he comes. Alex Rodriguez was a guest with WFAN’s Mike Francesa this afternoon and confirmed that he expects to be with the Yankees on Monday against the Rangers in Texas.

Rodriguez is hitting just .179 (5-for-28) with one home run and seven strikeouts over 10 rehab games between Low-A Charleston, High-A Tampa, and Double-A Trenton, but he told Francesa that his surgically-repaired hip feels good and that he has been encouraged by his progress in recent days. The 37-year-old has played in four straight games for the first time during his rehab and hit the home run on Monday. The current plan calls for him to join Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tomorrow and finish out his 20-day rehab clock before joining the Yankees.

Rodriguez was asked about MLB’s investigation into Biogenesis, but he would only say that he has not discussed the possibility of a plea agreement on a potential suspension. If you recall, his representatives had a similar denial earlier this week.

1. tbutler704 - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I hope he comes back hitting bombs everyday. It will be funny to watch Yankee fans turn on a dime and defend this bum to the bitter end.

• number42is1 - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

When he plays like shit he gets booed… when he plays well he get cheered… do I really need to explain the science to you on this matter?

• tbutler704 - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM

You should settle down.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Not really, I like A-Rod and I hope he gets back and is able to help his team make
      a run. I don’t really understand why people walk around hating a baseball player
      they have never met. I just want him to play good ball. Best wishes to A-Rod.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Hi. You must be new here. This is the internet. Please leave your rational thinking and reasonable stances at the door and come on in!

• wardhobby - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM

One would think that MLB would do something, if it is going to do any suspending of A-Rod before he returns. They sure are dragging this out.

• Jeremy T - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I’m sad to say that quite a few Yankee fans will find reasons to boo him even if he magically returns to the level of production he had in his MVP years. I would love to see him succeed, both because I’m tired of all the negative stories and because the Yankee offense could really use the help. I think it’s very possible that I’ll end up in the minority, though.

2. kjericho43 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

5 for 28 in Single A.

Read that again. Rehab games or not, that sucks.

• kjericho43 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My bad. Not just Single A. So he’s pretty much NOT raking at all minor league levels. Cool.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM

You know how spring training stats don’t matter. Yeah, same thing here. And even his terrible, completely not-good rehab stats are better than Luis Cruz.

• Jeremy T - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM

It’s tough to judge him on that, though. The impression I get is rehab stats are basically the same as spring training stats. The goal isn’t to hit well, it’s to get your body ready to play in the majors.

• jwbiii - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Derek Jeter: 111/385/111 in his rehab assignment.

• badintent - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Yeah , even ManRam hit a hundred points higher in AA.

3. 18thstreet - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’m sad he’s not making his return at Fenway.

I don’t believe in nothin’ no more. I’m going to law school. And then I’ll start a baseball blog. And then I’ll quit practicing law and devote my career to the blog.

• tbutler704 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Unless you’re getting into Harvard or Yale Law, do yourself a huge financial favor and ditch law school.

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM

But how else will he become a blogger? You have to think long term. Gotta take the white collar job to get the basement job. Hello.

• badintent - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Nah, go to State school, then go into malpractice. Tons of bad doctors.Half the clowns that go to med school got in through family or alumni connections.

4. digbysellers - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

He’s going to sue to have that picture removed. He looks like a schlub…maybe eating too many Chipotle’s.

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Chipotle’s doesn’t stick around that long.

5. rbj1 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Given what’s happened to Mark, Curtis, and Derek, what’s the over/under on how many games he plays before he’s injured again?

6. uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

“Like it or not, here he comes.” Not only do I like it but I’m excited about it. I’ve said this before here. Alex is better then any of the options available to the Yankees and it’s my feeling that when Alex is in the line up he makes everyone better on the Yankees.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

we just need some bats, we have arms but no bats.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Jeter gave away his balls and has yet to find his bats.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Monday, Monday, can’t trust that day. Every other day of the week is fine, but whenever Monday comes you can find me cryin’ all of the time.

• uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Did you know Cass Elliot one of the singers on the Mamas and the Papas died on a Monday. Monday July 29, 1974. Coincidence?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

A coincidence as Denny Doherty was the lead singer on Monday Monday. I once met him at a preview performance for a children’s play that he was acting in.

• nbjays - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yep, absolute coincidence, as Denny Doherty died on a Friday and John Phillips died on a Sunday. But don’t let that ruin the narrative :-)

• uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Gentlemen do you believe the “official” report that Mama Cass died of a heart attack OR the juicier story that she died by chocking on a ham sandwich?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Heart attack according to the autopsy.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Say bad things about Jetes and you will never
        get one of those custom made baskets my friend.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Good thing that I am not interested.

• tbutler704 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I’m sure ESPN, TBS, FOX and even the Yanks own network YES join in with your excitement. They all plan to shove the Yankees down our throat as often as possible and the ratings have been awful without Rodriguez out there.

• uyf1950 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I don’t see anyone holding a gun to your head to watch either those networks or the Yankees when they are on. Assuming you can afford cable you have lots of alternative programming to watch. So lighten up.

7. 13arod - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM

kjericho43 almost everybody that rehabs doesnt do good

8. chip56 - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I think it’s great that he’s still making pronouncements about his health without going through the Yankees. At this point if I’m Alex I just give a big middle finger to the organization that keeps trying to throw him under the bus.

Granted, Alex has done a lot of stupid stuff, but some of the things the Yankees have done in handling Alex are just as dumb…I’m looking at you Cashman with your fbombs.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

If he can help the team win that is all that matters.

• chip56 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Agreed

9. jayscarpa - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I was going to skip this visit to Texas but I think I will make the drive to Arlington. Alex always gets such a warm welcome here.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

How dare Alex do…I mean say…I mean…why do Ranger’s fans dislike him? He signed with the Rangers as a free agent, was absolutely spectacular when he played for the Rangers, the Rangers traded him away, and he voided the contract that said the Rangers had to pay him to play for the Yankees during his decline phase.

What possible gripe do Rangers fans have against ARod?

• jayscarpa - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

The Rangers really sucked the three years he was there. Three losing seasons.

The general opinion was that his contract was impeding the Rangers from improving because it was such a large percentage of the payroll. The year after he was traded the Rangers had a winning record

He’s admitted to using PED’s while playing for the Rangers.

He’s a pretty easy target.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

How is any of that ARod’s fault? Boo the GM. Alex was well paid and played even better. If anything, the PED use should count in his favor, as he was trying to produce for his team.

I am not trying to poke at you jayscarpa, but merely pointing out that Rangers fans should have no beef with ARod. If they do it only goes to show their ignorance.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

And anyone who thinks this is a moron. Posting this again, courtesy of fangraphs:

Arod cost the Rangers $25M/year. In those three years, he missed one game total and put up a .305/.395/.615 155 OPS+ slash line averaging 52 HR, 132 RBI, 190 H, and 127 Runs.

The Rangers, on the other hand, paid Kenny Rogers and Darren Oliver a combined $14.5 million for a whopping +2.7 WAR, and that’s a generous assessment based on their FIP, as they each posted an ERA over 6.00 that year. They also gave Andres Galarraga $6 million for -0.1 WAR, Rusty Greer got $4.6 million for +0.1 WAR, and Ken Caminiti got $3.5 million for +0.1 WAR. The Rangers essentially flushed a huge chunk of their payroll down the drain on players who produced around replacement level, and I cannot come up with any rational way to blame that on Rodriguez.

In 2002, they sought to make some drastic changes to their roster, and in the process, raised their team payroll to $105 million, third highest in Major League Baseball. They gave Juan Gonzalez a two year, $24 million deal to return to the Rangers and try to recapture his past glory. They gave Chan Ho Park a five year, $65 million contract to try and fix their pitching problems. They traded Darren Oliver to Boston, and in exchange, they took on the remaining $17 million left on the final two years of Carl Everett‘s contract. They brought in John Rocker to try and stabilize the bullpen.

$12M/year for Juan Gone, $13M/year for Chan Ho Park. Arod outperformed his contract while those bums collected a paycheck, and it was Arod’s fault? Give me a break

• jayscarpa - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Doth protest too much. I’m a NYY fan for 50 years – I could give a rats ass. The guy asked and I stated what the prevailing opinion was at the time in Texas from newspapers and fans. Among other things. You base your opinion on a statistical argument written 8 years after he left Texas, lol. Yeah, I’m sure the average Joe Fan spent a lot of time going over it at Fangraphs. You’re throwing numbers at emotions and you’ll never win that argument.

• anxovies - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Nobody ever said Texans were the brightest sequins on the shirt.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Ok, let’s look at what he did, raw stat numbers:

He averaged 52 HR, AVERAGED. As a SS. He had 190 H a year. He was an above average defensive SS as well. The best hitting SS last year was Zobrist, who put up a .270/.377/.471 line with 20 HR, 151 H, and 74 RBI. Arod beat that by 32 HR, 39 H, and 58 RBI.

AVERAGED those numbers.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

And somehow every year people say that a waiver-wire utility guy is going to be better. Decline phase ARod > most players peak.

10. drewsylvania - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM

So?

11. yousuxxors - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I hope he kills it

12. tbutler704 - Jul 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

If you think about it, Rodriguez is about the only polarizing figure in MLB. He’s a lot more like an NBA player like that.

13. jfk69 - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

A Rod has tweeted his new number to all his minor league women fans stating..” I didn’t want to be a distraction to these teams and it was just easier this way.”
    See you at THE SHOW.

14. rcali - Jul 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Does Brian Cashman know yet? Hopefully he’s following A-Fraud on Twitter.

15. cackalackyank - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

In other news MLB will suspend A-rod for 150 games on Tuesday….if the vibe for this seaason continues unchanged for the Yankees, that is.

16. bonesjl - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

A Roid is back and juicier than ever! I can’t wait to see him go 0 for for a few games then Girardi will be forced to bench him and the A Roid era will enter it’s final stage. If you haven’t been keeping up, this is the stage where the Yankees have to pay him 20 plus million a season to sit on their bench for 5 more seasons and flirt with the ladies in the crowd which is all a washed up juicer no hitting clown like A Roid’s good for now that the juicing has caught up with him.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester