Jul 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis began a new minor league rehab assignment on Wednesday at Double-A Frisco. The debut went not so swimmingly.
Via beat writer Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis surrendered four runs — including a two-run homer — before being removed with two outs in the top of the third inning. Facing the Padres’ Double-A affiliate from San Antonio, Texas, Lewis made it only 45 pitches and he topped out at just 89 mph.
Lewis underwent major elbow surgery last July and has not pitched in the majors this season. He was originally aiming for an early-June return and started a rehab assignment in late April, but he developed triceps tendinitis in May. That same routine took place again two weeks later. There’s no timetable this time around.
Lewis, 33, owns a sharp 3.93 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 in 506 1/3 innings since breaking back into the big leagues with the Rangers in 2010 after two career-resurrecting seasons in Japan’s Central League.
He signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Texas in September, 2012 and will be a free agent this winter.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)