Jul 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis began a new minor league rehab assignment on Wednesday at Double-A Frisco. The debut went not so swimmingly.
Via beat writer Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis surrendered four runs — including a two-run homer — before being removed with two outs in the top of the third inning. Facing the Padres’ Double-A affiliate from San Antonio, Texas, Lewis made it only 45 pitches and he topped out at just 89 mph.
Lewis underwent major elbow surgery last July and has not pitched in the majors this season. He was originally aiming for an early-June return and started a rehab assignment in late April, but he developed triceps tendinitis in May. That same routine took place again two weeks later. There’s no timetable this time around.
Lewis, 33, owns a sharp 3.93 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 in 506 1/3 innings since breaking back into the big leagues with the Rangers in 2010 after two career-resurrecting seasons in Japan’s Central League.
He signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Texas in September, 2012 and will be a free agent this winter.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 17
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 49
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)