Jul 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis began a new minor league rehab assignment on Wednesday at Double-A Frisco. The debut went not so swimmingly.
Via beat writer Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis surrendered four runs — including a two-run homer — before being removed with two outs in the top of the third inning. Facing the Padres’ Double-A affiliate from San Antonio, Texas, Lewis made it only 45 pitches and he topped out at just 89 mph.
Lewis underwent major elbow surgery last July and has not pitched in the majors this season. He was originally aiming for an early-June return and started a rehab assignment in late April, but he developed triceps tendinitis in May. That same routine took place again two weeks later. There’s no timetable this time around.
Lewis, 33, owns a sharp 3.93 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 in 506 1/3 innings since breaking back into the big leagues with the Rangers in 2010 after two career-resurrecting seasons in Japan’s Central League.
He signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Texas in September, 2012 and will be a free agent this winter.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)