Jul 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis began a new minor league rehab assignment on Wednesday at Double-A Frisco. The debut went not so swimmingly.
Via beat writer Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis surrendered four runs — including a two-run homer — before being removed with two outs in the top of the third inning. Facing the Padres’ Double-A affiliate from San Antonio, Texas, Lewis made it only 45 pitches and he topped out at just 89 mph.
Lewis underwent major elbow surgery last July and has not pitched in the majors this season. He was originally aiming for an early-June return and started a rehab assignment in late April, but he developed triceps tendinitis in May. That same routine took place again two weeks later. There’s no timetable this time around.
Lewis, 33, owns a sharp 3.93 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 in 506 1/3 innings since breaking back into the big leagues with the Rangers in 2010 after two career-resurrecting seasons in Japan’s Central League.
He signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Texas in September, 2012 and will be a free agent this winter.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 0
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)