Matt Harvey models his dating after Derek Jeter and his family motto is “dirty martinis and music”

Jul 17, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT

All Star Game Baseball AP

I just read David Amsden’s profile of Mets ace Matt Harvey in the August issue of Men’s Journal magazine and wanted to pass along a couple of particularly amusing excerpts (the whole article is definitely worth reading).

First, here’s Harvey on participating in the New York nightlife and wanting to be like Derek Jeter:

“That guy is the model,” he says. “I mean, first off, let’s just look at the women he’s dated. Obviously, he goes out–he’s meeting these girls somewhere–but you never hear about it. That’s where I want to be.”

And here’s Harvey on the lessons he learned from his family:

“Dirty martinis and music–that’s the big motto in our family,” he says, describing his extended Italian-American clan as a rowdy tribe, fond of letting loose as often as possible. “We get the booze going, and the music starts playing. Always old-school hip-hop. Jay-Z. Tribe Called Quest. The Pharcyde. My parents love that stuff.”

Do you think Matt Harvey’s parents would adopt me?

1. baseballici0us - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Never thought about that in regards to Jeter but that’s absolutely true…He has somehow managed to live a very private life in the least private city in the world. Good for him.

“Matt Harvey’s family sounds even better than Matt Harvey.” Yes, sir. They do.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM

this dude is bad ass!
      he has nasty stuff and he serious on the rubber!

2. tbutler704 - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

“I mean, first off, let’s just look at the women he’s dated.”

There should be (and probably is) a Tumblr of this.

3. chadjones27 - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Does this mean we’re going to start to hear Matt Harvey gift basket stories soon?

BTW, I was flipping through channels, turned on USA Network, and there was show where a guy playing a profootball player referred to being given a gift basket after a one-nighter as being “Jetered” He’s now a verb.

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I tried to make “Weiner me” (send me a pic) into a thing…

• jwbiii - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Yeah, but you’d 10,000 guys sending you pictures of Ron Jeremy and requesting your phone number.

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I meant with my friends. I am totally not dumb enough to say that to random dudes. If you are female and have a smartphone, you get those kinds of pics without asking anyway.

• Reflex - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Sorry about that Historio, I’d had a few drinks and really thought you wanted that photo…

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Meh, it happens. Just don’t be pushy about getting anything back.

• Reflex - Jul 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

hahahaha

Oop, sorry.

• Reflex - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

No your not, don’t lie.

4. professor30 - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Matt Harvey is his family through and through. Local kid from SE CT, dad was a long time high school teacher and baseball coach. His team’s were always competing for state championships. First class family all the way.

5. pjmitch - Jul 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

As a Met fan, all of this scares the crap out of me that his focus is going to go in the wrong direction (away from pitching) and 5 years from now we are going to be talking about what might have been. Lots of money, lots of women and lots of nightlife are things that only the very grounded of individuals can manage correctly.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

only a Met fan would take that point of view.
      leave the kid alone and let him live his life
      and have a little fun.
      from reports he doesn’t joke around when
      it comes to his job and that is good enough
      for me so relax.

• pjmitch - Jul 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Really?? Well this Met fan remembers some guys named Doc Gooden and Darryl Strawberry and hearing that they were young and just needed to blow off steam and have fun. That didn’t work out too well.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

stop the presses. 24 year old single male likes going to the bars in his free time.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

yeah, that too.

• Last Road Reviews - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

While I understand your comment. Matt has too strong a desire to win and be the best. Other players I might worry, but not with Matt

6. missingdiz - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I know I’m going to get the thumbs down. But “old-school hip hop”???? People go back and listen to that shit again? “Old school” is Marvin singing “What’s Going On” and it still sounds good, actually great. Hip hop has never been music so why would anybody remember what was then and what is now. It’s like comparing traffic noise in 1985 with traffic noise today. Why do we put up with hip hop when we could have music? Suggestion: Eddie Palmieri. But then again, baseball players don’t have to have great taste in music, and the guy can pitch.

• nategearhart - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

God, I HATE music snobs.

• Bryz - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM

“Just ’cause you don’t like it don’t mean it ain’t no good.”

– Suicidal Tendencies, “You Can’t Bring Me Down”

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Saw them in concert several years ago Bryz! Always been a big fan.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

If you don’t understand rap that’s ok, but don’t
      tell people that it is not music.
      I don’t listen to country but I do recognize the
      popular songs but I don’t disrespect the artists
      and the people who favor their country music.

• Liam - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Would it make you feel better if Matt Harvey removed himself from your lawn?

• km9000 - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I just take issue with him considering Jay-Z to be “old school.”

• redux23 - Jul 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

yeah, i mean, jay-z is younger than jamie moyer

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Holy crap this. When he was saying old school, I was wondering was he talking about Kool Keith, Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa? Nah, Pharcyde (props for that), Jay Z and Tribe. Come on…

• skinsfanwill - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Hip hop is in a every aspect of life today. Count how many commercials on tv involve some form of hip-hop. You might as well embrace it now. But i can understand where you are coming from. I never knew how people thought hard rock/metal was considered music. I couldn’t embrace yelling and screaming into a microphone and calling it music for some reason. Until I grew the hell up.

7. rickdobrydney - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

RAP is NOT music —-it has next to ZERO melodic content , and a whole MESS of disgusting “lyrical” content . Please do not mistake it for music. And this guy Harvey, while he is a hell of a pitcher, seems to me to be on the fast track to over – media kill hell. Lay low, for God’s sake—You’ve been in the major leagues a few months .

• steelcurtainwereonpedstoo - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Waaaaaah!!!! Dude, STFU! No one cares

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

it has next to ZERO melodic content

dictionary.com says:

c.a rhythmical succession of single tones producing a distinct musical phrase or idea.

Considering that the beginnings of hiphop were guys at parties rhyming over a continuous beat, it’s the very definition of hiphop.

• indaburg - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Regardless of whether you like it or not, it is music as music is defined. A Tribe Called Quest is one of my favorite rap groups. It is too bad you are so closed minded. Some of their lyrics are poetic in nature and reference Steinbeck and Natalie Wood. They use jazz influences and blues riffs. It’s music alright, whether you like or not.

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

You should never judge a genre by it’s most popular or worst representations. Clearly, this person hasn’t rooted around enough in rap to find some of the best talent. But, you know, some people confuse personal tastes with right and wrong.

• indaburg - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Yep. I’m gonna go listen to some Electric Relaxation and Bonita Applebaum. Sing it at the top of my lungs. “I love ‘em black, yellow, Puerto Rican, and Haitian, name is Phife Dawg from the Zulu Nation…” LOVE that song… relax yourself girl, please settle down…

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I too am a fan of Tribe Called Quest. Always have been. I also like to occasionally, listen to Public Enemy, NWA, BDP (Boogie Down Productions for those not up to speed) Slick Rick, EPMD and other groups that are truly “Old School.”

As I have gotten older…I realize it makes most people my age have headaches. Lol!

But Jay-Z? Not a fan. At all. Hell…I would much prefer to hear his Wife’s music.
        And I am not a fan of her’s as well.
        But I also firmly believe…”to each their own.”
        In all aspects of life.

• indaburg - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I love all those. Jay-Z’s The Black Album is brilliant. I can recite the lyrics of 99 Problems from memory. I still remember my young nephew’s eyes popping out when his aunt broke out that rap.

Have you listened to it from start to finish? It is amazing. Some of his stuff is way commercial, but that album is his piece de resistance.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I bet your nephew was shocked (and impressed at the same time).
        My girls are used to it by now…but they (and their cousins) used to be taken aback by my musical tastes. I have heard my oldest tell her friends…”Dad doesn’t listen to old peoples music.”

I am familiar with 99 problems. And no…I haven’t listened to it from start to finish.
        Something about the Dude just grates on my nerves. He seems like a pompous ass.
        And when he doesn’t seem like a pompous ass…he comes off jerkish. Just my take.
        Obviously I don’t know the Man…there is just something about him that bugs me.

Admittedly though…I was impressed when he and Chris Martin collaborated.

• skinsfanwill - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

So what do you call heavy metal? A whole lot of screaming and noise and no lyrical content. Headbangers? Is that music?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Heavy Metal is very much music. They actually plays instruments.
        And their guitars? They play more than 3 chords! I know…I know. Hard to believe.

8. steelcurtainwereonpedstoo - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM

He sounds douchey

9. reeggss - Jul 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Oh great, now there are two middle school music teachers preaching to us what is and isn’t music. Sorry you guys were always picked last in gym class but we weren’t the ones stuffing you into lockers.

10. stercuilus65 - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Enough with the Harvey hype.

11. butchhuskey - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I might be in the minority here but I feel like Harvey is beginning to be overexposed in the media. I don’t mind that he’s a young kid on top of the world who’s enjoying the ride, but he’s been featured in so many press articles and been the subject of so many stories that it’s kind of irritating (I say this as a huge Mets fan).

I mean, fashion spreads in the New York Post, posing nude in the ESPN body issue, having a featured story in Men’s Journal, and appearing on Jimmy Fallon are just a few of the things he’s done just within the past few weeks. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with any of these individually, but if Harvey keeps becoming the center of attention I think he’s going to see some backlash from the public (we saw this with Yasiel Puig after a few weeks of “Puigmania”).

I also think that these stories make him seem less likable – I live in southeastern Connecticut and always gravitated towards the fact that he was a down to earth local boy who made it big. However, when I read about how he loves fashion, wants to buy flashy suits and have parties where everyone wears all-white (who is he, P Diddy?), he comes off as douchey and more than a bit self-absorbed.

Of course, in the end the kid has the right to craft his own public image and present himself as he sees fit. He comes across well in most interviews and I doubt that he will lose focus on his pitching. But I really really think he needs to keep a lower profile if he doesn’t want people to start actively disliking him.

• longtimefan1 - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

BH, I totally agree.

I think Matt Harvey is heading for self-destruction, that his obsession with self and image, this need and compulsion to be the best and be viewed as the best in everything, to show everyone how cool he is, is rooted in self-esteem problems and the need to cover that up. He’s becoming more and more unlikeable by the day and I think at some point will be struck down by major depression. It seems to me he’s running from something big he’s suppressed.

• butchhuskey - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM

You might be right, but I don’t know the guy personally and I’m not a psychologist so I’m not going to speculate on the inner workings of his mind.

All I know is that right now he seems to be motivated by wealth, status, and other superficial things, which really does not come across well.

12. mrznyc - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Mets stories: Matt Harvey, bad contracts, criminal activity of the Wilpons, Mr. Met. Take your pick. There is absolutely nothing else to write about.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3918)