Rockies, Orioles, Indians, Marlins, Royals and Brewers win competitive-balance draft picks

Jul 17, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT

mlb logo square

From the Associated Press, via NBCSports.com:

The Rockies, Orioles, Indians, Marlins, Royals and Brewers won picks after the first round of next year’s draft in Major League Baseball’s second annual competitive balance lottery.

The lottery involved the 10 teams with the lowest revenue and 10 in the smallest markets and was six picks after the first round. A club’s odds of winning the lottery were based on its winning percentage last season.

The teams that did not win a post-first-round pick were entered into a different lottery for six picks after the second round. The Padres, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Rays, Pirates and Mariners came away with those.

The competitive-balance draft was instituted last year as part of Major League Baseball’s new labor agreement. The picks can be traded, and indeed some were at the July 31 deadline in 2012.

If you’d like to read more on how this all works, check out Jonathan Mayo’s rundown on MLB.com.

1. biasedhomer - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

So this is to somehow increase revenue for these teams?
    I don’t see that happening with some of these teams, in articular the Marlins.

• flamethrower101 - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

In fairness to MLB, the Marlins are their own worst enemies when it comes to trying to increase revenue. Or do anything productive for that matter.

• paperlions - Jul 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

No. It is supposed to help level the competitive field by giving extra picks to teams from small markets or teams that have lower revenues. It is kind of like leveling the financial field by giving poor people a handful of scratch off tickets.

But hell, if it results in the Cardinals getting another high-ish draft pick and the associated pool money to spend on next year’s draft….I’m good with it.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

” It is kind of like leveling the financial field by giving poor people a handful of scratch off tickets. ”

I’m going to try this with the next pan handler I encounter, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Normally my rule with those folks applies as ” make me laugh, or say something smart or witty, not something like needing a little more for bus fair to get home that I just heard you say to the nice lady who gave you a ten right in front of me seconds ago.”

A trip to San Fran got good money of me in two cases:

One guy ” when I’m famous, you can say you helped me to the top .”

More impressive, when asked what city I was from, this excited fellow named the starting offense and defense of an erly 90′s Eagle’s team. That was impressive.

I wish they could apply that stuff beyond panhandling, sky is the limit when you have talent and can learn to apply it.

• Reflex - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I’ll buy a panhandler coffee or a sandwich. I will not give them cash. I’m not going to contribute to a potential drug or alcohol problem that may be keeping them on the street in the first place. But I’m always willing to make certain someone’s basic needs are met.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM

If the player the Marlins use the pick on turns out to be really good he can increase their revenue when they sell him.

• historiophiliac - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Loria can find baseball talent to exploit like pigs find truffles. He’ll make money off the deal.

• sabatimus - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Seriously. Some teams (the Marlins) will simply take the pick and, if he pans out, trade him off so they don’t have to pay him.

What would be more in the competitive spirit is a salary floor.

2. thebadguyswon - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

MLB welfare!!

3. steelers88 - Jul 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Man this day is dragging!

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

A lot of people seem to be missing the point. It’s not about revenue, it’s about giving teams that can’t afford to retain their free agents, additional, cheaper draft picks. That way the teams with money get the high profile expensive veterans, and the teams with no money get the young draft picks. Or at least that’s the general idea. What I can’t seem to figure out here is what the Cardinals are doing on this list and the Athletics are absent.

• Caught Looking - Jul 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM

A total of 14 teams were eligible for lottery picks in both Rounds A and B with their odds of nabbing the first selection in the Competitive Balance Round A based on their winning percentages from 2012. The Rockies had the best odds followed by the Indians, Marlins and Royals. The other eligible teams in Round A were San Diego, Pittsburgh, Arizona, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Oakland and Cincinnati. The Mariners were eligible for participating in Competitive Balance Round B only.

The 10 smallest-market teams and the 10 lowest-revenue teams were placed in the lottery to have a chance to win one of the six extra picks in 2014. There aren’t 20 teams in the lottery because there’s crossover between the two lists.

• forsch31 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

St. Louis actually is one of the 10 smallest markets in the league (according to MLB a year or so ago), and the revenue they get from their TV contract is among the lowest, especially when you compare it to the mega-deals that have been signed recently. It’s their high attendance levels that helps them operate like a mid-market team.

• danaking - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

St. Louis has a much smaller metropolitan area than most people thing. (Including me before I looked it up a few years ago.) It ranks 21st in the country, between Orlando and Tampa, just ahead of Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

I’m not sure what the deal is with Oakland. The site I looked at has it lumped in the San Francisco as a metro area. I hope baseball isn’t doing it that way, or the As are getting doubly hosed.

5. ptfu - Jul 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Nice that the competitive balance picks are tradeable. Is there any good reason why regular draft picks are not also tradeable?

• natslady - Jul 18, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Some teams have really stupid GMs. You want to INCREASE opportunities for stupidity inflicted on the fans in those cities?

6. Walk - Jul 18, 2013 at 3:33 AM

They need to add a caveat to those teams picks. To qualify the team winning the pick must be actively trying to get better. I know it takes time to rebuild and the minimum is five years so I am ok with them saying they have a plan but they need to show that plan to the league office to get that pick. I am looking at you Miami.

• Shayna - Jul 18, 2013 at 5:36 AM

/muffled snort/ Please! Trying to legislate good faith is a doomed effort. Even MLB, during its trusteeship of the Expos–as it picked the bones clean and then said, “My God! There’s nothing but a skeleton here! Time to relocate!”–represented itself as rebuilding. I’m sure the Marlins ownership could fudge up something that would create the illusion of a plan — good enough for the gomers in MLB’s head office, at least.

No need for follow-through, of course, when the plan doesn’t materialize. Our players didn’t pan out, the fan support wasn’t there, regional economic woes left us with no box office income, etc., etc. Insert your excuse here…

7. drewsylvania - Jul 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

If they wanted competitive balance they wouldn’t have limited what teams can spend in the draft.

8. Walk - Jul 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Forcing the marlins to “fudge up something” would give them more of a plan than they have now. Making them state their intentions would probably put a few more fans in the seats as well. No one wants to watch a losing team, but it is somewhat more bearable if I know things are going to get better. The marlins intentionally created the situation they are in now by trading their stars to get luxury tax money. They do not also need to be rewarded for doing that with more draft picks.

9. proudlycanadian - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Nothing for Houston?

• stex52 - Jul 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM

No pity for the Astros. They have the revenue base and the multiuser plan. One compensation draft pick won’t change much.

• jwbiii - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Houston is one of the largest single team markets in MLB, so they’re out on market size.

Their TV contract pays them $80m/year, so they’re out on revenue. Just to throw out a few TV contract numbers: Blue Jays, $36m; Cardinals, $14m.

10. northstarsmitty - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Houston and Minnesota got screwed big time

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act