Jul 17, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Drew is scheduled to begin playing in minor league rehab games this Thursday with Double-A Portland. If all goes well, he should be back on the Red Sox active 25-man roster early next week.
Drew has been on the disabled list since June 28 with right hamstring tightness. He also missed time in May with back discomfort and part of April because of a concussion suffered in spring training.
Drew, 30, is batting just .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season for the first-place Red Sox. The Scott Boras client signed a one-year, $9.5 million free agent deal in December.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)