Jul 17, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Drew is scheduled to begin playing in minor league rehab games this Thursday with Double-A Portland. If all goes well, he should be back on the Red Sox active 25-man roster early next week.
Drew has been on the disabled list since June 28 with right hamstring tightness. He also missed time in May with back discomfort and part of April because of a concussion suffered in spring training.
Drew, 30, is batting just .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season for the first-place Red Sox. The Scott Boras client signed a one-year, $9.5 million free agent deal in December.
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 0
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 18
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 27
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 58
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)