Jul 17, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Drew is scheduled to begin playing in minor league rehab games this Thursday with Double-A Portland. If all goes well, he should be back on the Red Sox active 25-man roster early next week.
Drew has been on the disabled list since June 28 with right hamstring tightness. He also missed time in May with back discomfort and part of April because of a concussion suffered in spring training.
Drew, 30, is batting just .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season for the first-place Red Sox. The Scott Boras client signed a one-year, $9.5 million free agent deal in December.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)