And the Matt Harvey backlash has begun

Jul 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Remember yesterday’s Men’s Journal profile of Matt Harvey that contained some good tidbits about the Mets right-hander’s Derek Jeter-modeled dating life and fun-sounding family?

Well, apparently Harvey is experiencing a bit of a backlash to all the details he shared, because he just posted this on Twitter:

Which is a shame, because it was a good, interesting profile of a good, interesting athlete and mostly Harvey just came across as a 24-year-old becoming famous for the first time in New York. Most importantly, I’m just hoping that tweet doesn’t mean the part about his parents liking Tribe Called Quest was misreported.

UPDATE: Harvey expanded on his tweet, telling Andy Martino of the New York Daily News:

I said I wanted to be like Jeter in good ways. I used an example of how he probably goes out, but you never hear anything bad. I love watching Jeter because he played hard every single night and was a winner. When I moved to NYC, the respect for him grew, because I realized what the media was like.  And for him, he always stayed out of the bad media, making him a leader on and off the field.

This seems like a pretty lame controversy, even in the age of pretty lame controversies.

1. rickdobrydney - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Harvey is going to turn out to be Harvey’s worst enemy —- For God’s sake he has pitched 4 months in the bigs—–Lay low for a while —- Lets see how he handles things when he is faced with a 4 game losing streak with that laughing stock of a team and franchise…..

• thebadguyswon - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Phillies fan? Nats?

• nyg201 - Jul 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

He actually pitched for the Mets last year as well. So it’s been more than four months.

2. xmatt0926x - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Yet another example of an athlete who needs to wake up and get off twitter. It should be a rule that unless you know you can just ignore the haters and pretty much 98% of the tweets which are going to be spewings of savage animals, you should just stay away from tweeting if you’re an athlete.

He doesn’t need to say things like “I wanted to be like Jeter in good ways”. Jeter isn’t doing anything wrong. He’s young and single. I haven’t heard of 7 kids by 5 different mothers. He’s rich, famous, and dates supermodels. Yeah…… what an outrage!!!

• xmatt0926x - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I should note that I assume the heat he is taking is coming from twitter.

3. chill1184 - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Once again the media making moutains out of molehills

4. historiophiliac - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Ok, Harvey, lesson #1 on Jeter-style low-profiling: Don’t talk to the media about how you’re going to keep a low profile.

• El Bravo - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

This. This right here. Can’t hate the kid for being honest….except that’s what people do….oh well.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

New York media and a young guy, that’s easy prey for the jackals reporting in the five boroughs.

• baseballici0us - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Actually, that’s exactly like Jeter. Remember when he and the Boss got into a little “media scuffle” because Jeter was out till wee hours of the morning a few times? There was a bit of a media frenzy then.

All we need now is Harvey to be featured in a VISA commercial :-)

Like I mentioned before though, Hats off to Jeter for being out of the spotlight for most of his career.

• baseballici0us - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Oh my God….What could be better than Harvey?

MATT HARVEY WITH A MORGAN FREEMAN VOICE-OVER!!!!!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Oh my God….What could be better than Harvey?

MATT HARVEY WITH A MORGAN FREEMAN VOICE-OVER!!!!!

I tried

• baseballici0us - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

hahahahaha….website bookmarked

5. qcubed3 - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

As a man, I found Harvey’s goal to be Jeter-like on the dating scene both ambitious and awesome. Go forth young man and conquer NYC likewise!

• papalurchdxb - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

He mustn’t forget the gift baskets though, that’s the secret to success..

• stabonerichard - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM

The gift baskets are a nice touch, but The Herp is the true gift that keeps on givin’.

6. kjericho43 - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Matt Harvey is cool. He is witty, smart, and seems like he has a personality. He is a far cry from most of the hayseeds that play professional baseball. The press and general public should embrace this dude.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

“Hayseeds?”

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No? I always like the imagery of a guy in overalls with a stick of hay poking out of his mouth. Resourceful for tooth pickin’, and there ain’t nothing wrong with resources.

• jwbiii - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

But torches and pitchforks are so much more fun!

7. papalurchdxb - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

He’s young & being honest, nothing to see here.

And let’s face it, who wouldn’t want to imitate Jeter off the field… http://deadspin.com/5867626/report-derek-jeter-once-again-plowing-everything-in-sight

8. tbutler704 - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

There’s no baseball and the colossal NY sports media are bored. Perfect environment for this kind of garbage.

9. deathmonkey41 - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

We live in an age of thin-skinned p#ssies where someone is always offended by something. He’s a young, pro-athelete who lives in NYC- he’s going to bang a lot of chicks- get over it. Did anyone notice on the Armor All commerical where the Viking takes away the dude’s car, Armor All gift set, and girlfriend, that they completely removed the girl from the commerical because people were crying that it objectified women…even though she lives with the Viking on her own accord. Just think- future terrorists are growing up in other countries under the duress of extreme poverty with the added bonus of them or their families being blown apart any minute by drone strikes and our kids are growing up and being taught to throw hissy fits every time they’re offended by completely innocuous commericals. PC is killing the soul of this country- and everyone’s sense of humor. BTW- this is the Armor All commerical with the girl in case you didn’t know what I was talking about.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM

[comic book guy]
      Worst…analogy….ever

• km9000 - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I kinda wanna see what crazy leap of logic he’d have made next. That was quite the steep trajectory.

• historiophiliac - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Seriously, if you think that was really funny and worth getting upset about, you need a humor transplant.

I need a doctor…doctor…doctor…to bring me back to liiiiife.

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

What is even more disgusting is Harvey’s pull-happy approach at the plate.

• historiophiliac - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I’m really unhappy you got more thumbs down than I did on this thread. :(

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Sorry, man. Funny though since I am willing to bet that none of those people have any idea whatsoever why I wrote that.

• historiophiliac - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

You called me man! :P

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

You’re welcome.

• historiophiliac - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Awwww, I have warm fuzzies now. No, penis. Just warm fuzzies. Thanks.

• paperlions - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

No problem.

A penis is nice though…I can’t express how awesome it is to be able to pee standing up.

• historiophiliac - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I could see where it would be super convenient, but I think occasional awkward stiffies would be less fun.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

but I think occasional awkward stiffies would be less fun.

Pretty much makes 4 years of high school a blast. Picture a scenario like:

Teacher – “Church, why don’t you come to the board and conjugate this italian verb”
        Me – “uhhh, I’d really prefer not to at this time”
        Teacher – “No, come up here. You’ve done this plenty of times”
        Me – “umm, ok I’m going to bring this book along with me, casually hanging in front of my waist for no apparent reason”

Was lots of fun. Highly recommend it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

It could be worse, church. You could be the teacher and have NS in front of a class full of students.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

You could be the teacher and have NS in front of a class full of students.

It’s going to be really obvious when you explain it, but I can’t think of what NS stands for.

• historiophiliac - Jul 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM

nipple stiff

10. tbutler704 - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

The other thing to be said is Harvey should consider deleting his Twitter account. He’ll notice his role model Mr. Jeter is nowhere to be found on there.

Twitter is fun for a nobody like the rest of us but why these guys open themselves to that kind of criticism and foolishness is crazy.

• pjmitch - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

AMEN!!!

11. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Anyone besides me remember when St Jeter was called out by the Boss for spending too much time in the clubs, partying with women? I mean, they only made a VISA commercial to parody the absurdity…

12. ChandlerMc - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

“Hayseeds”? Really? I think you need to get out more.

/gotcha!

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

It was more a case of taking exception to his inaccurate description.
      Of course…I also know a lot of great people who you might refer to as a “hayseed.”

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Sorry Chandler! I understand your post was directed at Jericho (Derek Lowe article).

13. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

The first rule of the Jeter lifestyle is you don’t talk about the Jeter lifestyle.

The second rule of the Jeter lifestyle is YOU DON’T TALK ABOUT THE JETER LIFESTYLE.

The fact that Harvey gave an interesting interview is already a departure from the Jeter plan. Jeter only speaks in cliches and platitudes. He presents himself as a dull subject and reporters move on. “There is nothing to see here. These aren’t the scandals you’re looking for.”

• albertmn - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Maybe Jeter learned from watching Bull Durham.

14. thebadguyswon - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

When do the real games start again?

15. rcali - Jul 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Lay low rookie and when you become a successful veteran, lay even lower. Put the Tweeter down. My daughter should be tweeting, not you.

16. steelcurtainwereonpedstoo - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

This kid just needs to shut the front door and let his play do the talking. That’s how you get and keep respect, showing & proving..

17. 11thstreetmafia - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I want this guy to go ape sh#t crazy on twitter. Don’t be the nice guy, be a heel. Be ahead of the curve. Could you imagine if twitter was around for John Rocker? That would have been so entertaining.

18. stex52 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

The only thing I worry about with Harvey is the innings limit for this year. He has amazing talent and has the potential to be a great one.

As to the Twitter thing, he’s a kid. I will venture in a year or so you won’t find him anywhere near it. The rest of this media hype and pop psychological analysis from the bleachers bores me.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3478)