Jul 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Well, apparently Harvey is experiencing a bit of a backlash to all the details he shared, because he just posted this on Twitter:
It really sucks how words get used and completely taken out of context.
— Matt Harvey (@MattHarvey33) July 18, 2013
Which is a shame, because it was a good, interesting profile of a good, interesting athlete and mostly Harvey just came across as a 24-year-old becoming famous for the first time in New York. Most importantly, I’m just hoping that tweet doesn’t mean the part about his parents liking Tribe Called Quest was misreported.
UPDATE: Harvey expanded on his tweet, telling Andy Martino of the New York Daily News:
I said I wanted to be like Jeter in good ways. I used an example of how he probably goes out, but you never hear anything bad. I love watching Jeter because he played hard every single night and was a winner. When I moved to NYC, the respect for him grew, because I realized what the media was like. And for him, he always stayed out of the bad media, making him a leader on and off the field.
This seems like a pretty lame controversy, even in the age of pretty lame controversies.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)