Jul 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Well, apparently Harvey is experiencing a bit of a backlash to all the details he shared, because he just posted this on Twitter:
It really sucks how words get used and completely taken out of context.
— Matt Harvey (@MattHarvey33) July 18, 2013
Which is a shame, because it was a good, interesting profile of a good, interesting athlete and mostly Harvey just came across as a 24-year-old becoming famous for the first time in New York. Most importantly, I’m just hoping that tweet doesn’t mean the part about his parents liking Tribe Called Quest was misreported.
UPDATE: Harvey expanded on his tweet, telling Andy Martino of the New York Daily News:
I said I wanted to be like Jeter in good ways. I used an example of how he probably goes out, but you never hear anything bad. I love watching Jeter because he played hard every single night and was a winner. When I moved to NYC, the respect for him grew, because I realized what the media was like. And for him, he always stayed out of the bad media, making him a leader on and off the field.
This seems like a pretty lame controversy, even in the age of pretty lame controversies.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)