Jul 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Well, apparently Harvey is experiencing a bit of a backlash to all the details he shared, because he just posted this on Twitter:
It really sucks how words get used and completely taken out of context.
— Matt Harvey (@MattHarvey33) July 18, 2013
Which is a shame, because it was a good, interesting profile of a good, interesting athlete and mostly Harvey just came across as a 24-year-old becoming famous for the first time in New York. Most importantly, I’m just hoping that tweet doesn’t mean the part about his parents liking Tribe Called Quest was misreported.
UPDATE: Harvey expanded on his tweet, telling Andy Martino of the New York Daily News:
I said I wanted to be like Jeter in good ways. I used an example of how he probably goes out, but you never hear anything bad. I love watching Jeter because he played hard every single night and was a winner. When I moved to NYC, the respect for him grew, because I realized what the media was like. And for him, he always stayed out of the bad media, making him a leader on and off the field.
This seems like a pretty lame controversy, even in the age of pretty lame controversies.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 0
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 86
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)