Jul 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Well, apparently Harvey is experiencing a bit of a backlash to all the details he shared, because he just posted this on Twitter:
It really sucks how words get used and completely taken out of context.
— Matt Harvey (@MattHarvey33) July 18, 2013
Which is a shame, because it was a good, interesting profile of a good, interesting athlete and mostly Harvey just came across as a 24-year-old becoming famous for the first time in New York. Most importantly, I’m just hoping that tweet doesn’t mean the part about his parents liking Tribe Called Quest was misreported.
UPDATE: Harvey expanded on his tweet, telling Andy Martino of the New York Daily News:
I said I wanted to be like Jeter in good ways. I used an example of how he probably goes out, but you never hear anything bad. I love watching Jeter because he played hard every single night and was a winner. When I moved to NYC, the respect for him grew, because I realized what the media was like. And for him, he always stayed out of the bad media, making him a leader on and off the field.
This seems like a pretty lame controversy, even in the age of pretty lame controversies.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 2
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)