Jul 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Well, apparently Harvey is experiencing a bit of a backlash to all the details he shared, because he just posted this on Twitter:
It really sucks how words get used and completely taken out of context.
— Matt Harvey (@MattHarvey33) July 18, 2013
Which is a shame, because it was a good, interesting profile of a good, interesting athlete and mostly Harvey just came across as a 24-year-old becoming famous for the first time in New York. Most importantly, I’m just hoping that tweet doesn’t mean the part about his parents liking Tribe Called Quest was misreported.
UPDATE: Harvey expanded on his tweet, telling Andy Martino of the New York Daily News:
I said I wanted to be like Jeter in good ways. I used an example of how he probably goes out, but you never hear anything bad. I love watching Jeter because he played hard every single night and was a winner. When I moved to NYC, the respect for him grew, because I realized what the media was like. And for him, he always stayed out of the bad media, making him a leader on and off the field.
This seems like a pretty lame controversy, even in the age of pretty lame controversies.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)