Jul 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
There are few if any consensuses in baseball, but there’s a pretty strong near-consensus that criticizing anything related to Mariano Rivera is bad form. People just don’t want to hear that especially now, as he makes his final victory lap before he retires.
Appreciate Mariano Rivera for all he has done but, MVP???? No way! Mariano is a class act and respect him but the media rules who wins!
— Brett Myers (@TheOutlaw39) July 17, 2013
Not surprisingly, his Twitter replies were overwhelmingly negative, with a view Phillies folks thanking him for helping them win the 2008 World Series thrown in for variety.
Being honest: I think one could make a reasonable case — if one actually cared about such things, which I decidedly do not — that Rivera was not the best choice for the All-Star Game MVP. I just don’t think that someone like Brett Myers will ever be listened to to make that case. And I don’t think that case can really be made on Twitter.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 1
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 87
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (88)