Jul 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
There are few if any consensuses in baseball, but there’s a pretty strong near-consensus that criticizing anything related to Mariano Rivera is bad form. People just don’t want to hear that especially now, as he makes his final victory lap before he retires.
Appreciate Mariano Rivera for all he has done but, MVP???? No way! Mariano is a class act and respect him but the media rules who wins!
— Brett Myers (@TheOutlaw39) July 17, 2013
Not surprisingly, his Twitter replies were overwhelmingly negative, with a view Phillies folks thanking him for helping them win the 2008 World Series thrown in for variety.
Being honest: I think one could make a reasonable case — if one actually cared about such things, which I decidedly do not — that Rivera was not the best choice for the All-Star Game MVP. I just don’t think that someone like Brett Myers will ever be listened to to make that case. And I don’t think that case can really be made on Twitter.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)