Jul 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
There are few if any consensuses in baseball, but there’s a pretty strong near-consensus that criticizing anything related to Mariano Rivera is bad form. People just don’t want to hear that especially now, as he makes his final victory lap before he retires.
Appreciate Mariano Rivera for all he has done but, MVP???? No way! Mariano is a class act and respect him but the media rules who wins!
— Brett Myers (@TheOutlaw39) July 17, 2013
Not surprisingly, his Twitter replies were overwhelmingly negative, with a view Phillies folks thanking him for helping them win the 2008 World Series thrown in for variety.
Being honest: I think one could make a reasonable case — if one actually cared about such things, which I decidedly do not — that Rivera was not the best choice for the All-Star Game MVP. I just don’t think that someone like Brett Myers will ever be listened to to make that case. And I don’t think that case can really be made on Twitter.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (129)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)