Jul 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
There are few if any consensuses in baseball, but there’s a pretty strong near-consensus that criticizing anything related to Mariano Rivera is bad form. People just don’t want to hear that especially now, as he makes his final victory lap before he retires.
Appreciate Mariano Rivera for all he has done but, MVP???? No way! Mariano is a class act and respect him but the media rules who wins!
— Brett Myers (@TheOutlaw39) July 17, 2013
Not surprisingly, his Twitter replies were overwhelmingly negative, with a view Phillies folks thanking him for helping them win the 2008 World Series thrown in for variety.
Being honest: I think one could make a reasonable case — if one actually cared about such things, which I decidedly do not — that Rivera was not the best choice for the All-Star Game MVP. I just don’t think that someone like Brett Myers will ever be listened to to make that case. And I don’t think that case can really be made on Twitter.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)