Jul 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Clay Buchholz hasn’t pitched in a game since June 8 due to shoulder problems. And six weeks later, it’s still not clear when he’ll be ready to return to the Red Sox.
Buchholz felt renewed soreness during a bullpen session on Sunday and didn’t pick up a baseball during the All-Star break. Red Sox manager John Farrell told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that the injured right-hander is now slated to be re-examined by team orthopedist Peter Asnis on Friday.
“We have every intention and hope and outlook that he will resume pitching this season,” Farrell said Thursday, where the Red Sox held a voluntary workout. “I wish I could give you an exact date, to be honest with you. And Clay would, too.”
Buchholz isn’t scheduled to undergo an MRI at this time, but Farrell indicated that Asnis could deem one necessary. Even if he receives good news, he’ll have to start his throwing program from square one. That means his absence will likely stretch well into August.
Buchholz has a 1.71 ERA and 81/29 K/BB ratio over 84 1/3 innings in 12 starts this season. With his status in doubt, the Red Sox could be on the lookout for a starting pitcher leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 11
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)