Jul 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Clay Buchholz hasn’t pitched in a game since June 8 due to shoulder problems. And six weeks later, it’s still not clear when he’ll be ready to return to the Red Sox.
Buchholz felt renewed soreness during a bullpen session on Sunday and didn’t pick up a baseball during the All-Star break. Red Sox manager John Farrell told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that the injured right-hander is now slated to be re-examined by team orthopedist Peter Asnis on Friday.
“We have every intention and hope and outlook that he will resume pitching this season,” Farrell said Thursday, where the Red Sox held a voluntary workout. “I wish I could give you an exact date, to be honest with you. And Clay would, too.”
Buchholz isn’t scheduled to undergo an MRI at this time, but Farrell indicated that Asnis could deem one necessary. Even if he receives good news, he’ll have to start his throwing program from square one. That means his absence will likely stretch well into August.
Buchholz has a 1.71 ERA and 81/29 K/BB ratio over 84 1/3 innings in 12 starts this season. With his status in doubt, the Red Sox could be on the lookout for a starting pitcher leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)