Jul 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Clay Buchholz hasn’t pitched in a game since June 8 due to shoulder problems. And six weeks later, it’s still not clear when he’ll be ready to return to the Red Sox.
Buchholz felt renewed soreness during a bullpen session on Sunday and didn’t pick up a baseball during the All-Star break. Red Sox manager John Farrell told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that the injured right-hander is now slated to be re-examined by team orthopedist Peter Asnis on Friday.
“We have every intention and hope and outlook that he will resume pitching this season,” Farrell said Thursday, where the Red Sox held a voluntary workout. “I wish I could give you an exact date, to be honest with you. And Clay would, too.”
Buchholz isn’t scheduled to undergo an MRI at this time, but Farrell indicated that Asnis could deem one necessary. Even if he receives good news, he’ll have to start his throwing program from square one. That means his absence will likely stretch well into August.
Buchholz has a 1.71 ERA and 81/29 K/BB ratio over 84 1/3 innings in 12 starts this season. With his status in doubt, the Red Sox could be on the lookout for a starting pitcher leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)