Cuban pitcher Misael Siverio defects to United States

Jul 18, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT

Cuba

Amid reports that Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez is close to signing a big long-term contract another Cuban pitcher, Misael Siverio, has apparently defected with an eye toward free agency.

Siverio left the Cuban national team while it was playing exhibition games in Iowa and
gave a statement to El Nuevo Herald saying:

Leaving behind your country is not easy, but this was a decision that I gave a lot of thought. Of course, my dream is to play in the majors, and from now on I will start taking the first steps to make it happen.

According to the Associated Press he’s been removed from Cuba’s official roster and is no longer considered part of the team. Some current MLB stars who recently defected from Cuba include Aroldis Chapman, Yoenis Cespedes, and Yasiel Puig, and there’s speculation that Gonzalez’s eventual deal will be worth as much as $50 million.

1. asimonetti88 - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Let me guess. The Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox are interested.

2. yondo123 - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM

forgot the Yankees…

• caeser12 - Jul 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

My Yanks won’t sign him until he’s won 2 Cy Youngs, a Championship, and turns 38 years old. So don’t worry, as long as people continue to visit “The Mall presently known as Yankee Stadium,” there will be no reason to acquire, scout, develop young talent. Look for names on the back of jersey’s next, so that the “real” fans can identify their favorite player. Go NY.

3. natslady - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Isn’t “playing exhibition games in Iowa” an open invitation to defect, if you have any talent?

4. Minoring In Baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Reminds me of the NHL back in the late 80’s, early 90’s, with all of the players defecting from Russia and Czech Republic. Defecting in Iowa, though…I have visions of them disappearing into the corn field…

Three legends off to Cooperstown