Jul 18, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
Amid reports that Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez is close to signing a big long-term contract another Cuban pitcher, Misael Siverio, has apparently defected with an eye toward free agency.
Siverio left the Cuban national team while it was playing exhibition games in Iowa and
gave a statement to El Nuevo Herald saying:
Leaving behind your country is not easy, but this was a decision that I gave a lot of thought. Of course, my dream is to play in the majors, and from now on I will start taking the first steps to make it happen.
According to the Associated Press he’s been removed from Cuba’s official roster and is no longer considered part of the team. Some current MLB stars who recently defected from Cuba include Aroldis Chapman, Yoenis Cespedes, and Yasiel Puig, and there’s speculation that Gonzalez’s eventual deal will be worth as much as $50 million.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 18
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)