Skip to content

Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez could sign next week

Jul 18, 2013, 8:10 PM EST

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez AP AP

Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez was declared a free agent by MLB earlier this week after he received clearance by the United States government. And the bidding could wrap up fairly quickly.

Gonzalez’s agent, Jaime Torres, told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes that he expects his client to have an agreement with an MLB team by next week.

“I do not think it will happen this weekend,” Torres told ESPNdeportes.com. “But, fortunately, I hope to have an agreement for next week. While the more interested clubs are making their last internal consultations, we are working on the visa process that [Gonzalez] will need to come to the United States.”

Gonzalez defected from Cuba earlier this year and recently worked out for more than 60 scouts in Mexico while he was waiting to receive clearance. Rojas was told by a source close to Gonzalez that the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins are among the teams with interest. The 26-year-old will not be subject to the international spending cap, so look for him to land a big-money contract.

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com wrote last month that Gonzalez stands at 6-foot-3 and throws “a fastball in the mid-90s, a changeup, fork and a curveball.” Torres believes he could help at the major league level during the second half.

  1. mrpinkca - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

    The Marlins? Do they realize they actually have to pay him?

  2. boyofzimmer - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

    He’ll be a Cub, no doubt!

  3. proudlycanadian - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

    He came to the US for the Yankee Dollar, so I predict pinstripes.

    • caeser12 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

      My Yanks won’t sign him until he’s won 2 Cy Young Awards, a Championship, and turns 38. He’s too young. smh.

      • proudlycanadian - Jul 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM

        I stand corrected.

  4. buffalo65 - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM

    Time the jays take a shot on one of these guys.

  5. elmo - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM

    He’s gonna be teammates with Puig.

    • xmatt0926x - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM

      Absolutely agree. The Dodgers need starting pitching and management has said and shown that they will spend spend spend for players.

      With the success of Puig, why not just buy another needed part?If he’s highly thought of after the scouts watched him pitch then I’d be absolutely stunned if anyone outbid the Dodgers for him.

    • unclemosesgreen - Jul 19, 2013 at 5:52 AM

      Elmo is very wise. Moses thinks that Elmo is right about the Dodgers. Moses also thinks that Commissioner Selig did a good job keeping the McCourts from plowing all of that t.v. money into their private “War of the Pockets.” Lots of people are mad at the Commissioner but Moses thinks he should get credit for this. Now the Dodgers are actually spending baseball money on … baseball.

      This comment was brought to you by the letter M.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
  1. W. Myers (3215)
  2. J. Kang (3075)
  3. C. McGehee (2799)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2767)
  5. J. Upton (2753)
  1. D. Ross (2462)
  2. T. Tulowitzki (2315)
  3. J. Shields (1836)
  4. M. Kemp (1781)
  5. M. Prado (1767)