Derek Lowe: “I’m officially no longer going to play the game”

Jul 18, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT

Derek Lowe AP

Derek Lowe was released by the Rangers in May and hasn’t latched on anywhere. He knows what time it is, even if he doesn’t call it “retirement” and won’t be signing an ceremonial one-day contracts and won’t be making any farewell speeches:

“I’m officially no longer going to play the game … If you’re not playing, it’s completely self-explanatory. I’m not going to go to the Hall of Fame, so I don’t feel like I need to have a retirement speech. But I was able to play 17 years on some pretty cool teams and win a World Series. So, everyone’s got to stop playing at some point, and this is my time.”

Lowe finishes his career, in which he was at times a top starter and at times a top closer, with a record of 176-157, an ERA of 4.03, 1722 strikeouts and 794 walks in 2671.1 innings. He added 86 saves, leading the league in that category with 42 in 2000 for the Boston Red Sox. Of 681 career games, 377 came as a starting pitcher. He played for seven teams in his 17-year career, most notably the Sox where he played for eight seasons.

1. aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Cool statement…very Zen in a Jeff “the Dude” Lebowski sort of way.

Thanks for 2004.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

The dude abides.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM

3.42 ERA in the playoffs, not too shabby. And being able to claim a win in a World Series game? Pretty cool story for the kids and grandkids eventually.

3. RoyHobbs39 - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Not too many pitchers can say they had 42 saves in a 91 IP season then stretched it out to 220 IP two seasons later and got 21 wins. (I know, wins don’t matter. But still a pretty impressive feat.)

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Wins & Saves are Sexy, K/9 and WHIP pay the bills.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

As long as you WHIP it, WHIP it good.

4. timmmah10 - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Good for him to see the writing on the wall and walk away. (It’s been on the wall for a while now…)

He was a stud closer, that’s for sure.

5. ChandlerMc - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Derek Lowe is a scumbag. He left his wife of 7 yrs and their 3 kids for a FSN reporter. And he broke up with her OVER THE PHONE then moved in with the floozie. He’s also a terrible drunk who’s in total denial. He once showed up at a Red Sox team function with a woman who was not his wife. He thought John Henry would be ok with it but he was wrong. JH was piiiisssed. Good riddance jagoff.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

That escalated quickly.

• kjericho43 - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

“Floozie?” Really? I think you need to get out more.

• APBA Guy - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

“Floozie”- I used to hear that on the “Roaring 20′s” show when I was a little kid. I assume ChandlerMC means a youngish adult female who does the Charleston and drinks bathtub gin.

• badintent - Jul 19, 2013 at 2:29 AM

And that reporter would be ? Not Hazel Mae. We hope. Chill out Burke. Just a joke

6. abaird2012 - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Career numbers aren’t bad, considering he spent much of the past several seasons getting lit up.

7. stlouis1baseball - Jul 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Congratulations on a solid career!

8. tbutler704 - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Best retirement statement ever.

9. Tim's Neighbor - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I’ll never forget the way he deftly avoided a DUI that one time in Atlanta.

10. hushbrother - Jul 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The Red Sox should have a Derek Lowe Night.

11. ChandlerMc - Jul 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Aw you don’t like my old school word, fella? Here’s a list of synonyms for “floozie”:

slut, bimbo, harlot, hooker, hussy, jade, jezebel, malkin, minx, quean, call girl, concubine, courtesan, fallen woman

• mrpinkca - Jul 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Minx, lol.

Also most of those are not synonyms of floozie.

12. ras1tafari - Jul 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Derek Lowe is the only player I have ever bought a jersey for. Totally underrated his whole career, and people may not recall how CRUCIAL he was to the 2004 championship. In my all time top 10 athletes.

I get he was douche off the field, but I don’t care about that s–t.

• kevinbnyc - Jul 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

All-time top 10 is probably pretty generous.

• rje49 - Jul 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

CRUCIAL is right. How many people know he got the win in the clinching game of all 3 playoff series in 2004?

13. 18thstreet - Jul 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Back in the summer of 2004, before the Sox turned it around, I really hated Lowe. Hated him more than anyone on the roster. Saw him lose a game to Baltimore in the bottom of the ninth by hitting the last batter, forcing in a run. Loved him as a closer. Hated him as a closer. Did amazing things, stunk up the joint.

Such a love-hate relationship with that guy, which makes him a quintessential Red Sox.

Godspeed, Idiot.