Jul 18, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Pittsburgh has released Jose Contreras from Triple-A.
This is actually the second time the Pirates have released Contreras from his minor-league contract. When it happened the first time back in June they re-signed him almost immediately, so the move was mostly based on avoiding some call-up language in his contract.
Presumably by releasing Contreras for a second time the Pirates are simply through with the 41-year-old veteran. However, in coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery Contreras has a 0.93 ERA and 24/5 K/BB ratio in 19 innings at Triple-A, so he should be able to latch on elsewhere.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (119)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)