Jul 18, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Pittsburgh has released Jose Contreras from Triple-A.
This is actually the second time the Pirates have released Contreras from his minor-league contract. When it happened the first time back in June they re-signed him almost immediately, so the move was mostly based on avoiding some call-up language in his contract.
Presumably by releasing Contreras for a second time the Pirates are simply through with the 41-year-old veteran. However, in coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery Contreras has a 0.93 ERA and 24/5 K/BB ratio in 19 innings at Triple-A, so he should be able to latch on elsewhere.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)