Jul 18, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Matt Garza has been on an impressive roll of late, winning five straight starts while posting a 1.24 ERA and 38/10 K/BB ratio over his last six. While we still have a little under two weeks to go before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Cubs want to strike while the iron is hot.
Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports also hear that the Rangers are involved in talks for Garza. In fact, Rosenthal and Morosi are reporting that the Rangers are “most motivated” of any of the teams in the mix. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Cardinals, Indians, and Diamondbacks are among the other clubs who have expressed interest.
Garza is currently slated to make his next start on Monday against the Diamondbacks, so if Olney’s source is to be believed, we could see a resolution within the next couple of days.
UPDATE: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears from one official involved in talks between the Cubs and Rangers that a deal is getting closer. Prospects from various levels are being discussed and Rosenthal writes that Mike Olt is “possibly” involved.
UPDATE II: Rosenthal hears from sources that prospect right-hander C.J. Edwards is also in play in talks for Garza. The 21-year-old has a 1.83 ERA and 122/34 K/BB ratio over 93 1/3 innings in 18 starts this season with Class A Hickory.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)