Jul 18, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
While the Marlins are having a “Legends of Wrestling” night next month, the Diamondbacks are going a step further. They have introduced a luchador as an official team mascot. Seriously.
As the official press release from the team indicates, this is part of an effort to attract the Hispanic community:
The popularity of last year’s Lucha Libre mask, which was later followed by a Lucha Libre match, inspired the creation of the Luchador character and this year the mascot features a new look. In addition, the D-backs will give away 20,000 Luchador masks, courtesy of Circle K and Univision Arizona, as fans enter Chase Field next Saturday, July 27.
The D-backs Luchador speaks both fluent Spanish and English and represents a character that you would find at a Lucha Libre match. The D-backs Luchador wrestles with Club Deportivo Coliseo and can be found revving up the crowd at select D-backs games. Fans can follow the Luchador on Twitter @DbacksLuchador and can find more information about the character at http://www.dbacks.com/luchador or http://www.losbacks.com/luchador.
This season, the D-backs will give away 20,000 Luchador masks, courtesy of Circle K and Univision Arizona, (July 27) and 5,000 Luchador capes, courtesy of Chevrolet, for kids only (Sept. 15). Last season the team gave away their first D-backs Lucha Libre mask and featured a Lucha Libre match along the Gila River Casinos Plaza prior to the game. In addition, the D-backs will host Hispanic Heritage Day, presented by Budweiser, on Sept. 14 that will feature a Street Festival, presented by APS, and will give away 20,000 Miguel Montero bobbleheads, courtesy of Subway.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 45
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)