Jul 18, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
While the Marlins are having a “Legends of Wrestling” night next month, the Diamondbacks are going a step further. They have introduced a luchador as an official team mascot. Seriously.
As the official press release from the team indicates, this is part of an effort to attract the Hispanic community:
The popularity of last year’s Lucha Libre mask, which was later followed by a Lucha Libre match, inspired the creation of the Luchador character and this year the mascot features a new look. In addition, the D-backs will give away 20,000 Luchador masks, courtesy of Circle K and Univision Arizona, as fans enter Chase Field next Saturday, July 27.
The D-backs Luchador speaks both fluent Spanish and English and represents a character that you would find at a Lucha Libre match. The D-backs Luchador wrestles with Club Deportivo Coliseo and can be found revving up the crowd at select D-backs games. Fans can follow the Luchador on Twitter @DbacksLuchador and can find more information about the character at http://www.dbacks.com/luchador or http://www.losbacks.com/luchador.
This season, the D-backs will give away 20,000 Luchador masks, courtesy of Circle K and Univision Arizona, (July 27) and 5,000 Luchador capes, courtesy of Chevrolet, for kids only (Sept. 15). Last season the team gave away their first D-backs Lucha Libre mask and featured a Lucha Libre match along the Gila River Casinos Plaza prior to the game. In addition, the D-backs will host Hispanic Heritage Day, presented by Budweiser, on Sept. 14 that will feature a Street Festival, presented by APS, and will give away 20,000 Miguel Montero bobbleheads, courtesy of Subway.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)