Jul 18, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
While the Marlins are having a “Legends of Wrestling” night next month, the Diamondbacks are going a step further. They have introduced a luchador as an official team mascot. Seriously.
As the official press release from the team indicates, this is part of an effort to attract the Hispanic community:
The popularity of last year’s Lucha Libre mask, which was later followed by a Lucha Libre match, inspired the creation of the Luchador character and this year the mascot features a new look. In addition, the D-backs will give away 20,000 Luchador masks, courtesy of Circle K and Univision Arizona, as fans enter Chase Field next Saturday, July 27.
The D-backs Luchador speaks both fluent Spanish and English and represents a character that you would find at a Lucha Libre match. The D-backs Luchador wrestles with Club Deportivo Coliseo and can be found revving up the crowd at select D-backs games. Fans can follow the Luchador on Twitter @DbacksLuchador and can find more information about the character at http://www.dbacks.com/luchador or http://www.losbacks.com/luchador.
This season, the D-backs will give away 20,000 Luchador masks, courtesy of Circle K and Univision Arizona, (July 27) and 5,000 Luchador capes, courtesy of Chevrolet, for kids only (Sept. 15). Last season the team gave away their first D-backs Lucha Libre mask and featured a Lucha Libre match along the Gila River Casinos Plaza prior to the game. In addition, the D-backs will host Hispanic Heritage Day, presented by Budweiser, on Sept. 14 that will feature a Street Festival, presented by APS, and will give away 20,000 Miguel Montero bobbleheads, courtesy of Subway.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)