Brandon Barnes hits for the cycle

Jul 19, 2013, 11:33 PM EST

Seattle Mariners v Houston Astros Getty Images

Astros outfielder Brandon Barnes doubled in the bottom of the eighth for his fourth hit in as many at-bats to complete the cycle. He homered in the second, tripled in the fourth, singled in the sixth, leaving himself a double short with one at-bat to go. The eighth-inning double also set up a rally as the Astros scored three runs in the inning (still in progress as of this writing), cutting the Mariners’ lead to 9-6.

The 27-year-old Barnes was only hitting .232 with a .623 OPS entering the night. The cycle is a bright spot on an otherwise bleak season for the 33-61 Astros, possessing MLB’s worst run differential at -143 entering the night.

Barnes becomes the eighth Astro to hit for the cycle. The last Astro to accomplish the feat was Luke Scott on July 28, 2006 against the Diamondbacks.

1. largebill - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Of course, I dropped Barnes from my fantasy team this morning so I could activate Lawrie off DL. Insult to injury – he got three of the hits off my pitcher.

• xavier46 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM

My sympathies…

• missthemexpos - Jul 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Lawrie has totally lost his mojo.

• nbjays - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

You have Lawrie on your fantasy team? Are you insane? I love the Jays but Brett Lawrie is the LAST Blue Jay player I would take on a fantasy team, just behind Bonifacio and Arencibia.

2. aklolzer - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Dude was out at 2nd on the double to complete the cycle. Ump gave it to him since the M’s were up by 6. Made the game close by intentionally blowing the call.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM

aklolzer, on the replay I saw it seems he might have been tagged before touching the base. They did not show the best angle, and it was very close. Your charge that the ump deliberately got it wrong would seem very off base. Have you any evidence this ump has ever deliberately cheated? Didn’t think so.

3. jeffa43 - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Barnes has been playing centerfield with the skill that brings Gold…

He had been struggling all month with the stick, but I think this will get his confidence going. Kid plays with the hustle you see from Charlie Hustle. Fun to watch, and good for him, he is a good kid.

4. ansleyiu - Jul 20, 2013 at 4:53 AM

my roomate’s mother-in-law makes $70 an hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for 8 months but last month her ine was $18584 just workinggo to this site home tab for more detail—>>> http://tinyurl.com/makemony1011

5. 13arod - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM

aklolzer he was safe

6. cadillacjosh - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

This sort of reminds me of of opening day when the ‘Stros beat the Rangers in that first game. Craig made some sort of comment about how the one game wild card playoff is ridiculous because of this.

You’d guess with Appel (I forgot if that’s how you spell his name, forgive me) and another 1st overall pick next year, and probably another one in the top 10 the year after, the Astros should have some decent things working for them soon.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4682)