Jul 19, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that second baseman Dustin Pedroia and the Red Sox are discussing a contract extension “somewhere in the vicinity of” six years and $100 million. Pedroia, who turns 30 on August 17, has been one of the best second basemen in baseball this season and the Red Sox want to make sure they retain his services beyond 2015. His current contract includes a $10 million salary for 2014 and an $11 million club option with a $500,000 buyout for 2015. Passan writes that whether the extension would usurp those two years of his current contract remains a point of negotiation.
More from Passan:
After tabling discussions on an extension during spring training, the Red Sox and Pedroia’s representatives picked up talks during the All-Star break, sources said. They’re expected to continue discussions as the Red Sox look to bolster their pitching staff via trades for a run at winning the American League East, which they lead over the Rays by 2½ games.
Pedroia has been worth 4.7 wins above a replacement-level player according to Baseball Reference, nearly matching his output for all of 2012 (4.9). Over 162 games, he is on pace for 7.8, which would nearly match his 2011 output when he finished in the top-ten in AL MVP voting. There is some concern, however, about Pedroia’s lack of power — he has hit only six home runs and his current .436 slugging percentage would be a career low.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 4
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 41
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)