Joey Votto not upset by recent comments made by Brandon Phillips

Jul 19, 2013, 11:55 PM EST

joey votto ap AP

Earlier today, we learned exactly what Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips thought about Joey Votto‘s monster ten-year, $225 million extension. It turns out Phillips is still a little bitter about it, saying, “To this day, I’m still hurt. Well, I don’t wanna say hurt. I’ll say scarred. I’m still scarred. It just sucks that it happened.”

It’s the kind of honesty that could have created a palpable rift in the Reds’ clubhouse, but Votto took it all in stride. Via C. Trent Rosecrans:

“Brandon’s a teammate I’ve played with six, seven years now and I love playing with him. I really have an immense amount of respect for him. Those comments have nothing to do with me. It doesn’t change a single thing, it makes me like him more, to be honest with you. Not many players are very honest, usually they give catch phrases, similar to what I’m doing right now. He’s a refreshing guy because he is honest and he does tell people how he feels. You can tell how he feels in that given moment and that’s a great thing. It’s great playing with someone like that. Variety is the spice of life and I love playing with Brandon.”

Phillips defended what he had said and wasn’t apologetic. From Rosecrans:

“I don’t feel like I said anything wrong, I didn’t disrespect nobody, if I did, it’s someone in the front office. The thing is, they know what happened, so I don’t understand why everything’s a big deal. And fans, I didn’t say anything, I love this city, I love Cincinnati, I’m happy to be here, I’m happy with the contract that I got. I’m happy for Joey. I talked to Joey about it, Joey doesn’t really care about what they say. He understands. He respects what I said. I say things people other people won’t say, that’s the type of person I am. What I said. I didn’t say anything wrong. If I said something wrong, tell me what I said wrong.”

1. tfbuckfutter - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

“Are you upset about Brandon Phillips comments?”
    “I have a $225 million contract. I’m never upset about anything ever.”

• drone501 - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:09 AM

honestly, is someone who is a pretty good baseball player worth 225 mil. HELL NO WHEN IS THE INSANITY GOING TO END. no wonder i can’t sleep tonite after reading this.

• jm91rs - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM

You literally can’t sleep because of high dollar baseball contracts? You might need to re-evaluate some things.

• paperlions - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

So….let me ask you…..are you bothered by the folks on Wall Street taking home billions of dollars each year while providing no goods or services during a down economy? Essentially, trading is now just a way to act as a middle-man and extract profit while jacking up the price of things.

How do you feel about CEOs with hundred million dollar golden parachutes after they fire every one and run a company into the ground?

How about large US owned companies that move all of their jobs overseas to increase profits and to avoid paying US taxes?

Of all of the things that should piss you off and cause you to lose sleep, hundreds of millions of dollars of the fans money going to the people the love to see play baseball, shouldn’t be very high on the list.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

He isn’t just “pretty good.” And he makes 225 million dollars because his employers make a ton of money off of him and they can afford to pay it. It isn’t that big of a deal.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Can’t go around getting upset every time Brandon Phillips pops off – cuz that’d just mean a lot of upsettedness

• aceshigh11 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Bwahahaha.

Isn’t that the truth.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM

BP’s on his way to doing sit ups on his drive way with Drew Rosenhaus flanking him saying “next question!”.

• delchef9 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM

See, after all these years I just got that Eagles moment out of my mind………thx!

2. km9000 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That quote is so awesomely meta. Give that man a raise!

3. farvefromover - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Phillips plays second base

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM

For the Reds.

The major league baseball team.

From Cincinnati.

• yahmule - Jul 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM

And he is a little grumpy.

Not really.

But, yeah…little bit.

• Bill Baer - Jul 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Not sure how that happened. Thanks for catching my mistake.

4. nathanbetz91 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

This sounds like a bunch of 16 year old girl crap. Your mad at someone for Something, but you don’t have the courage to call them out.instead you only have the courage to say something you’ll end up regret saying once the other guy hears about it

• eaststandsal - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Actually no. It sounds like the opposite. Neither back away from their comments and they seem to respect each other. I thought it was refreshing to read.

5. wheels579 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I bet Clint Hurdle knows Phillips plays second base even though Bill thinks he lets his closer “rot” in the bullpen in extra innings with the score tied.

6. junglerat524 - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Another non story. This place is getting more like TMZ every day

• jm91rs - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

You really can’t handle anything written about the reds, can you?

7. sparky0266 - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:03 AM

He has $225 million reasons to not give a flying f*** what Phillips has to say.

8. Walk - Jul 20, 2013 at 4:29 AM

Raises where I work are mandated by several factors. Performance, time in grade and on the job, and the budget. I have little to no control over the budget but it does irk me if I lose a raise or cannot hire someone or have to lay someone off that is needed. The other two factors are what I can control and to some extent Phillips and votto can control. Perform, and they have, and you get paid. If Phillips took less money to stay with the reds than he is worth then i have mad respect for that. That is a bonus for having a great team, it is easier to hang onto free agents and that helps build a winning program. People talk a lot about chemistry and that is not always easy to see just watching a game. It is easier to look back after the fact and see where guys rework their contracts to hang onto free agents or take less than market value to stay on a team. As much as i dislike dusty baker he and the reds front office seem to be reaping the rewards of establishing a winning culture in cincy. It would not surprise me in a few years to look back and see that one or both of these players rework their contracts to accommodate another player.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

He didn’t. Management, according to BP, told him they didn’t have any more money to offer beyond the $75M after signing the Votto contract. In fact, it’s the exact opposite of taking lesser money because BP was bitching about not getting more, and wondering why a teammate got a big contract before FA.

“For [Castellini] to sign somebody for $200 million, there must be a new vegetable or fruit coming out that we don’t know about. For him to do something like that and tell me they didn’t have any more money, that’s a lie. But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face.”

• timburns116 - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Brandon was unaware owners lie? Luckily for him, before he was born, Marvin Miller was aware of it

• Walk - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

He still signed with the reds for less than he thought he should have gotten. He had the option, well I am assuming here, to go somewhere else.

9. ansleyiu - Jul 20, 2013 at 4:55 AM

my roomate’s mother-in-law makes $70 an hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for 8 months but last month her ine was $18584 just workinggo to this site home tab for more detail—>>> http://tinyurl.com/makemony5

10. thomas844 - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Though I may disagree with Phillips getting upset over $75 million, I will give him credit for being honest, speaking his mind, not giving the “at the end of the day” or “it is what it is” cliche or issuing the cliched apology that so many athletes give (even though we know most of them don’t mean it).

11. dutchman45 - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Love Bat Dude. however, I will take 75 million and live like a king. Votto is a potential Hall of Fame player and was at the right spot for a mega contract. Both players will never run out of money unless they are maroons?

12. modellforprez - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM

that B phillips even came out that he was mad at reds ownership is suprising. Votto was M.V.P phillips when were you? oh thats right never. votto had triple crown numbers but couldnt close on tje homers when did you? right never. so where does he get the Balls and strikes to challenge somebody else pay. ESPECIALLY A TEAMMATE. like the ol saying give him a foot he takes a yard.

• abaird2012 - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

New requirements for HBT commenters:

1) Basic command of the written English language.
      2) Must promise not to shill for any bullshit internet sales scheme.

Then I’ll be happy.

• paperlions - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I don’t know. That gig selling Cuban sandwiches online sounded pretty sweet. Well….the sandwiches did.

13. jvm127 - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM

He’s more deserving of 225m than Puljos.

14. TheNaturalMevs - Jul 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Go win a title, stop worrying about greed and ego.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5130)