Jul 19, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
It’s never a good sign when a player goes into the All-Star break on the active roster and leaves the All-Star break on the disabled list, but that’s what just happened to Andrew Bailey.
Boston has placed Bailey on the DL with a shoulder injury, shutting him down after four straight scoreless appearances to end the first half. This is the second time Bailey has been on the DL this season, with his first stint being for a biceps injury.
Bailey has struggled with injuries throughout his career and pitched himself out of the closer role with the Red Sox, but did post a 3.77 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 29 innings.
UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Bailey has labrum damage that may require surgery and is “probably out for the year.”
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)