Jul 19, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s never a good sign when a player goes into the All-Star break on the active roster and leaves the All-Star break on the disabled list, but that’s what just happened to Andrew Bailey.
Boston has placed Bailey on the DL with a shoulder injury, shutting him down after four straight scoreless appearances to end the first half. This is the second time Bailey has been on the DL this season, with his first stint being for a biceps injury.
Bailey has struggled with injuries throughout his career and pitched himself out of the closer role with the Red Sox, but did post a 3.77 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 29 innings.
UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Bailey has labrum damage that may require surgery and is “probably out for the year.”
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 60
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)