Jul 19, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
It’s never a good sign when a player goes into the All-Star break on the active roster and leaves the All-Star break on the disabled list, but that’s what just happened to Andrew Bailey.
Boston has placed Bailey on the DL with a shoulder injury, shutting him down after four straight scoreless appearances to end the first half. This is the second time Bailey has been on the DL this season, with his first stint being for a biceps injury.
Bailey has struggled with injuries throughout his career and pitched himself out of the closer role with the Red Sox, but did post a 3.77 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 29 innings.
UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Bailey has labrum damage that may require surgery and is “probably out for the year.”
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)