Jul 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
A lot of people have speculated that the Giants would entertain trades for Tim Lincecum. The once-great, now in transition starter is under contract through the end of the year and many assumed the Giants would see what they could get for him. Maybe as a change-of-scenery candidate for someone. Maybe as a Smoltzian stint as a reliever.
Brian Sabean is not really inclined in that direction. He said this on KNBR radio yesterday:
“I expect Timmy to be in a Giant uniform,” Sabean said. “I find it hard to believe he’ll pitch elsewhere this year. … We need him to get back in this thing.”
I think that the usual track record for comments like that probably end with the player in question staying in town at about a 60-40 rate, but it may carry a bit more weight with Lincecum and the Giants. It’s rare that the Giants put up the white flag. And it’s not out of the question to think that Lincecum could regain his form at some point and prove himself valuable to the Giants.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)