Jul 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
A lot of people have speculated that the Giants would entertain trades for Tim Lincecum. The once-great, now in transition starter is under contract through the end of the year and many assumed the Giants would see what they could get for him. Maybe as a change-of-scenery candidate for someone. Maybe as a Smoltzian stint as a reliever.
Brian Sabean is not really inclined in that direction. He said this on KNBR radio yesterday:
“I expect Timmy to be in a Giant uniform,” Sabean said. “I find it hard to believe he’ll pitch elsewhere this year. … We need him to get back in this thing.”
I think that the usual track record for comments like that probably end with the player in question staying in town at about a 60-40 rate, but it may carry a bit more weight with Lincecum and the Giants. It’s rare that the Giants put up the white flag. And it’s not out of the question to think that Lincecum could regain his form at some point and prove himself valuable to the Giants.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39