Sabean says he’s not likely to trade Tim Lincecum

Jul 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Tim Lincecum Getty Images

A lot of people have speculated that the Giants would entertain trades for Tim Lincecum. The once-great, now in transition starter is under contract through the end of the year and many assumed the Giants would see what they could get for him. Maybe as a change-of-scenery candidate for someone. Maybe as a Smoltzian stint as a reliever.

Brian Sabean is not really inclined in that direction. He said this on KNBR radio yesterday:

“I expect Timmy to be in a Giant uniform,” Sabean said. “I find it hard to believe he’ll pitch elsewhere this year. … We need him to get back in this thing.”

I think that the usual track record for comments like that probably end with the player in question staying in town at about a 60-40 rate, but it may carry a bit more weight with Lincecum and the Giants. It’s rare that the Giants put up the white flag. And it’s not out of the question to think that Lincecum could regain his form at some point and prove himself valuable to the Giants.

1. tbutler704 - Jul 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I like Big Time Timmy Jim. Maybe my favorite stoner in sports.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I loved that SportsCenter commerical. He seems like a fun guy, too bad that doesn’t mean squat on the mound.

2. icanspeel - Jul 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Playing in NL west helps them still being in it.

3. temporarilyexiled - Jul 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

The good news:

When Brian Sabean makes trades (as opposed to free-agent signings), he generally does well.

The bad news:

Who the heck does he have to offer anyone, unless he actually becomes a seller instead of a buyer?

LF needs a run producer.

CF needs more than AAAA players.

RF isn’t exactly who you bank on – more like who you try to move.

3B is going to eat himself out of the league.

1B (See LF).

One solid starter isn’t exactly enough.

If at least two other starters round back into form, then you can address position-player problems.

Brian Sabean is not known for selling, in order to restock a farm system.

And as bad as this farm system is, he’d have to blow up practically the entire team to improve it.

But maybe it’s time.

• amadorjon - Jul 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

as an A’s fan I must say the best part of all this is the reduction of smugness heard out of giants fans mouths……..

• temporarilyexiled - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I’ve never been smug – more of a frontrunner – as I already gave away my young life at Candlestick when the team sucked.

I remain a huge baseball fan, but the team I grew up with actually has to play well for me to give it that much more of my attention than the rest.

4. southofheaven81 - Jul 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Might regain his form at some point? Yeah, how was his last start?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

If this ain’t east of Interstate-5 bias.:
      “And it’s not out of the question to think that Lincecum could regain his form at some point and prove himself valuable to the Giants.”

Two words: no-hitter!

5. bchapman2011 - Jul 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

He is not likely to trade him because not even the Yankees or Dodgers are stupid enough to take on a 22 million dollar salary for a pitcher that will never have an era below 4.0 again

6. earpaniac - Jul 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

What the hell happened to him?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM

“Sampson said Delilah you cut off my hair.
      You can shave my head
      My strength comes as natural
      as any ole man.”

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Also Samson from Half Baked because they took away his weed.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3990)