Jul 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
A lot of people have speculated that the Giants would entertain trades for Tim Lincecum. The once-great, now in transition starter is under contract through the end of the year and many assumed the Giants would see what they could get for him. Maybe as a change-of-scenery candidate for someone. Maybe as a Smoltzian stint as a reliever.
Brian Sabean is not really inclined in that direction. He said this on KNBR radio yesterday:
“I expect Timmy to be in a Giant uniform,” Sabean said. “I find it hard to believe he’ll pitch elsewhere this year. … We need him to get back in this thing.”
I think that the usual track record for comments like that probably end with the player in question staying in town at about a 60-40 rate, but it may carry a bit more weight with Lincecum and the Giants. It’s rare that the Giants put up the white flag. And it’s not out of the question to think that Lincecum could regain his form at some point and prove himself valuable to the Giants.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (161)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)