Jul 19, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
If you outlaw outlaw mascots only outlaws will be outlaw mascots. Or something:
When is a cub, not a Cub? When he isn’t sanctioned by the company which owns the copyright.
That’s the plight of John Paul Weier, who for the last six years, has been playing the role of “Billy Cub”, a cuddly bear figure who strolls the sidewalks outside Wrigley Field, posing for photos and clowning with fans before and after Cub games.
Except Billy Cub is not sanctioned by the Cubs. And he puts out a tip jar in a small Igloo cooler and some people complained to the Cubs when one of his employees cussed them out last year. It’s like the freakin’ wild-wild west. Except fuzzier.
But I gotta say, after this bit, I’m inclined to be on Billy’s side:
Citing allegations of trademark infringement, the League sent Weier a 100-plus page letter, ordering him to stop wearing the Billy Cub costume, and engaging in “unabated Mascot Activities.”
After consulting with a lawyer, he ignored it. And the next day, he said he was confronted by a Cubs executive.
“Someone came up to me, very angry, and said, ‘did you not get our letter?’”
Problem was, Weier was in costume and in character at the time. And since Billy doesn’t speak, he says he just stood there, gesturing and shrugging, as the executive in question got angrier.
“Unabated Mascot Activities?” Yeah, you go with that, MLB.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)