Jul 19, 2013, 4:02 PM EST
It’s all Red Sox news this afternoon, apparently.
Back when Jose Contreras came here a decade ago as a highly sought after free agents, the Red Sox wanted him. The Yankees got him. The Red Sox showed their patience however and finally got their man!
Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon signed to minor league deals by Red Sox.
— Ian Browne (@IanMBrowne) July 19, 2013
Contreras was just released by the Pirates yesterday. There he toiled for Indianapolis, but he toiled quite well, posting a 0.93 ERA and 24/5 K/BB ratio in 19 innings at Triple-A. Given that the Red Sox could use a starter it makes sense that they’d take a chance on him before actually giving up some talent for someone else out there in the market.
Lyon is another decade-ago guy. Except it was a decade ago that he actually played for the Sox. He’s late of the Mets where he’s not had the best of years, but an arm is an arm.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)