Jul 19, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
It’s all Red Sox news this afternoon, apparently.
Back when Jose Contreras came here a decade ago as a highly sought after free agents, the Red Sox wanted him. The Yankees got him. The Red Sox showed their patience however and finally got their man!
Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon signed to minor league deals by Red Sox.
— Ian Browne (@IanMBrowne) July 19, 2013
Contreras was just released by the Pirates yesterday. There he toiled for Indianapolis, but he toiled quite well, posting a 0.93 ERA and 24/5 K/BB ratio in 19 innings at Triple-A. Given that the Red Sox could use a starter it makes sense that they’d take a chance on him before actually giving up some talent for someone else out there in the market.
Lyon is another decade-ago guy. Except it was a decade ago that he actually played for the Sox. He’s late of the Mets where he’s not had the best of years, but an arm is an arm.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)