Jul 19, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
It’s all Red Sox news this afternoon, apparently.
Back when Jose Contreras came here a decade ago as a highly sought after free agents, the Red Sox wanted him. The Yankees got him. The Red Sox showed their patience however and finally got their man!
Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon signed to minor league deals by Red Sox.
— Ian Browne (@IanMBrowne) July 19, 2013
Contreras was just released by the Pirates yesterday. There he toiled for Indianapolis, but he toiled quite well, posting a 0.93 ERA and 24/5 K/BB ratio in 19 innings at Triple-A. Given that the Red Sox could use a starter it makes sense that they’d take a chance on him before actually giving up some talent for someone else out there in the market.
Lyon is another decade-ago guy. Except it was a decade ago that he actually played for the Sox. He’s late of the Mets where he’s not had the best of years, but an arm is an arm.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)