Jul 19, 2013, 4:02 PM EST
It’s all Red Sox news this afternoon, apparently.
Back when Jose Contreras came here a decade ago as a highly sought after free agents, the Red Sox wanted him. The Yankees got him. The Red Sox showed their patience however and finally got their man!
Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon signed to minor league deals by Red Sox.
— Ian Browne (@IanMBrowne) July 19, 2013
Contreras was just released by the Pirates yesterday. There he toiled for Indianapolis, but he toiled quite well, posting a 0.93 ERA and 24/5 K/BB ratio in 19 innings at Triple-A. Given that the Red Sox could use a starter it makes sense that they’d take a chance on him before actually giving up some talent for someone else out there in the market.
Lyon is another decade-ago guy. Except it was a decade ago that he actually played for the Sox. He’s late of the Mets where he’s not had the best of years, but an arm is an arm.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)