Jul 19, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
It’s all Red Sox news this afternoon, apparently.
Back when Jose Contreras came here a decade ago as a highly sought after free agents, the Red Sox wanted him. The Yankees got him. The Red Sox showed their patience however and finally got their man!
Jose Contreras and Brandon Lyon signed to minor league deals by Red Sox.
— Ian Browne (@IanMBrowne) July 19, 2013
Contreras was just released by the Pirates yesterday. There he toiled for Indianapolis, but he toiled quite well, posting a 0.93 ERA and 24/5 K/BB ratio in 19 innings at Triple-A. Given that the Red Sox could use a starter it makes sense that they’d take a chance on him before actually giving up some talent for someone else out there in the market.
Lyon is another decade-ago guy. Except it was a decade ago that he actually played for the Sox. He’s late of the Mets where he’s not had the best of years, but an arm is an arm.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)