Jul 19, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
After missing the first 90 games of the season Derek Jeter returned from a broken ankle last Thursday, only to injure his quadriceps midway through his first game back. Jeter used the All-Star break to rest up, hoping to avoid a return to the disabled list, but the Yankees have placed the shortstop back on the shelf.
Because the move is retroactive Jeter is eligible to return on July 27, but obviously that’s far from guaranteed. He’s been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, which is the lowest possible grade, but at age 39 and given how much time he missed with the broken ankle who knows how quickly Jeter will heal this time around.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 32
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)