Jul 19, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After missing the first 90 games of the season Derek Jeter returned from a broken ankle last Thursday, only to injure his quadriceps midway through his first game back. Jeter used the All-Star break to rest up, hoping to avoid a return to the disabled list, but the Yankees have placed the shortstop back on the shelf.
Because the move is retroactive Jeter is eligible to return on July 27, but obviously that’s far from guaranteed. He’s been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, which is the lowest possible grade, but at age 39 and given how much time he missed with the broken ankle who knows how quickly Jeter will heal this time around.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)