Jul 19, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After missing the first 90 games of the season Derek Jeter returned from a broken ankle last Thursday, only to injure his quadriceps midway through his first game back. Jeter used the All-Star break to rest up, hoping to avoid a return to the disabled list, but the Yankees have placed the shortstop back on the shelf.
Because the move is retroactive Jeter is eligible to return on July 27, but obviously that’s far from guaranteed. He’s been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain, which is the lowest possible grade, but at age 39 and given how much time he missed with the broken ankle who knows how quickly Jeter will heal this time around.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59